Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Opticomp problems
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:51 am 

Greetings everyone,

Happy Saturday. I'm working on my second build, an Optical Compressor. Only mod I made was swapping out the capacitors to use it for bass.

Here's my symptoms:

In bypass mode, I get sound... most of the time. Sometimes I need to hit the switch twice, and then I get sound. Then occasionally it cuts out. Big red flag: the volume knob works.

When on, I get no sound, except if I turn the volume all the way up, I get a soft, high-pitched hum. The sustain control doesn't seem to do anything in either mode. The LED does come on.

I've gone over the instructions several times, but I must be missing something obvious. I tested continuity on all the footswitch connections. I noticed that 4 and 7 are shorted, but I think that's intended (having trouble figuring out what connections on the footswitch correspond to what components of the schematic.)

Pictures below.

If the images are too big to fit on the screen: http://imgur.com/a/fNKuq

Post subject: Re: Opticomp problems
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:29 am 

The soldering at the top of R1, 2 & 3 looks a little iffy.

The intermittent connection in bypass mode could be an issue with the soldering of the wires to the stomp switch.

If you have continuity between lugs 4 & 7 of the stomp switch there’s a problem. Lug 4 of the stomp switch is the signal from the input jack. Lug 7 is the output of the compressor circuit. There should not be a short between these two locations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 pm 

Do you see continuity between footswitch pins 4 & 7 in both engaged and bypassed modes, or only one? If only one, which one? Be sure to shut off power to the pedal when checking the continuity.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm 

Sorry guys, Easter weekend ended up being a bit busier than expected.

I get continuity between 4 and 7 in both modes. This is with the pedal completely disconnected from anything else (power supply or patch cords).

I will touch up the mentioned joints, and I may remove and completely resolder the footswitch. I will also check it while it's disconnected to make sure it's not faulty.

Will post again when I've completed these steps.

Thanks so much!

Edit: Ended up having a few minutes, and did what I mentioned above. The footswitch apparently has an internal short between 7 and 9. 7, 8, and 9 have continuity in both modes. Sigh... Guess I'll have to order a new one, and wait a bit on adding this guy to the board.