Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm 

Just "finished" my second BYOC build - an Armstrong Twin.

The compressor is working as expected, but I'm getting nothing from the Green Ringer positions (only the leftmost rotary position produces sound). I'm hoping someone can look at the pictures and see some glaring mistakes, or point me in the direction of what might be causing the Green Ringer to not work.

I had to replace the 1N34A as the supplied diode was broken. Could this be the issue? Wrong part perhaps?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

AL

Attachments:
AT2.jpg
AT2.jpg [ 631.48 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
AT1.jpg
AT1.jpg [ 700.38 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
AT3.jpg
AT3.jpg [ 552.41 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm 

Also had an extra part that I don't recall seeing in the instructions.

Attachments:
AT4.jpg
AT4.jpg [ 346.15 KiB | Viewed 3907 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am 

Trying to figure out where the problem lies with my build. Can anyone confirm that the area outlined in red is the Compressor section of the pedal? If so, is it then safe to assume that the problem lies outside of that area since the Compressor is working properly?

Attachments:
CircuitBoard.jpg
CircuitBoard.jpg [ 154.81 KiB | Viewed 3887 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 pm 

Not knowing anything about this circuit, I can't give much help on those details, but I can offer a few generalized comments that might help you keep the troubleshooting process moving forward.

1. It will be helpful to see a photo of the solder side of your PCB.

2. Some of your soldering could use cleaning up. There are a couple blobs (notably the LED wire) and a few solder-starved eyelets (notably the resistors above the rotary switch). I would recommend going over the whole board and reheating every joint. Just long enough to let it melt, then refreeze. If you need to, add a touch of solder to starved joints. Clean your iron tip between each component.

If you haven't already, check out examples of good clean joints in Stephen's Tips For A Successful Build.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
1. It will be helpful to see a photo of the solder side of your PCB.

Yes, please!

sjaustin wrote:
2. Some of your soldering could use cleaning up. There are a couple blobs (notably the LED wire) and a few solder-starved eyelets (notably the resistors above the rotary switch). I would recommend going over the whole board and reheating every joint. Just long enough to let it melt, then refreeze. If you need to, add a touch of solder to starved joints. Clean your iron tip between each component.

More on that subject here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

The red LED is probably just an accidental addition to your kit, since nearly every BYOC kit with the exception of a couple (including the Armstrong Twin) use a mono-color LED.

What is the broken component in that LED photo? Looks like a germanium diode. If so, where did the replacement come from?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm 

OK, here's a couple of shots of the underside of the PCB. Definitely seems like a clean-up is in order!

Thanks for the links sjaustin and duhvoodooman. I'll check them both out before I start the cleaning things up.

The broken diode was a 1N34A. I was able to source it locally, but the guy seemed a bit confused. The bag said 1N34A but something made him question whether or not it actually was. Ultimately he decided the bag was correct and sold me the part. Hopefully he was right. The replacement in question is in the third photo.

Thanks again for the tips.

Attachments:
AT5.jpg
AT5.jpg [ 639 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]
AT6.jpg
AT6.jpg [ 654.25 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]
AT7.jpg
AT7.jpg [ 635.25 KiB | Viewed 3877 times ]