Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 am 

I'm getting a constant noise/noise floor whenever I engage my pedal.

Noise a sort of buzz/hum.

Pretty sure it's the DC Jack or something in its path on the PCB. I opened a fresh pack of 9v batteries and removed any power from the jack, and the buzz/hum noise went away completely. The only noise I get now is normal compression from the Sustain and Ratio/Blend knobs.

I don't believe the it is any potentiometer/knob in particular, the noise goes softer to louder when turning the Level knob (0%-100%) and having the Sustain and Ratio (Blend) completely off (counter-clockwise/0%).

edits:
The noise occurs even when using the pedal as a "clean boost", as in, turning all other knobs (Ratio/Blend, Sustain, and Attack off [counter-clockwise/dry]). When the effect is engaged with the previously mentioned knobs turned up, they seem to push the noises volume.

I've tried messing around with the internal trimpot. Finding the "sweet spot" seems to lower the noise, but it's usually present at some degree in most settings.

I have tested it through 3 amps and a mixture of guitars and basses, the noise is the same through all sources. I've also tried it through a few power options: courtesy outlet on a Voodoo Lab PP2+, own outlet in wall and surge breaker, isolated power sockets (on power supply), and battery.

I'm also comparing/testing it to a Barber Shop Tone Press (similar design/layout: Blend, Sustain, and Level knobs; with two toggle switches for added "Brilliance" and Attack Speed) and MXR Dyna Comp.

Clip:
https://youtu.be/DDMkZlOHT5k

Video is 23 seconds long and starts with the pedal engaged (forgot to leave it off and turn on, but the signal goes through completely fine when bypassed)
0:03 -Turning Level knob
0:07 - Turning Blend Knob
0:13 - Turning Level knob (turned lower/ counter-clockwise)
0:15 - Turning Sustain knob
0:18 - Turning Attack knob
0:20 - Turning Tone knob

Box

Upside down guts

Upside down guts #2

Upside down guts #3 - flipped side (potentiometers)

Switch dismounted

Full guts - from backside removed

Pots from top #1

Pots from top #2

https://i.imgur.com/HvRCTH5.jpg
Jacks

https://i.imgur.com/qva2I3s.jpg
Power (saw the trace of leftover flux after this picture and cleaned it off for other pictures, sadly that wasn't a cause for any noise)

I have went back and checked added/removed solder, so I'm not sure if any joints are subject to causing the noise. I did initially mount the pots too close to the board and have raised them outward from the board a bit and the noise hasn't changed. I also have cleaned the board off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and CRC electronics cleaner to get flux and anything else off.

The pedal's fully functional; each knob controls what it is designated to do.

I was worried that I burned the chip out when soldering it in. The instructions said to solder the mount first, then insert the chip after the build was completed. I did try removing the chip, then powering and engaging the pedal. The pedal still bypassed the signal when off, and turned on without any effect (no surprise without the chip), however the same noise was still there.

Link to BYOC Manual: http://byocelectronics.com/compressorinstructions.pdf
pg 4 is the part list
pgs 6-12 are part locations
pgs 13-21 are wiring pots,power,switch, etc.

Hopefully this post has enough information, I'll try to check back when I can to update if needed.

Last edited by Dinkerpuss on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am 

Some noise is common with compressors when you're not playing - it tries to "expand" your very low signal - that's how they work! Can you confirm if you still have a lot of noise with the blend all the way dry? If so, there's probably something else going on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 am 

Yeah, I forgot to mention that:
(edit: adding that to the original post)

The noise occurs regardless of having any knobs engaged.

I've set the Ratio/Blend knob to completely dry (counter-clockwise), Sustain all the way counter-clockwise, and Attack counter-clockwise.

I still get the noise using the pedal as a "boost" by using the volume.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am 

What are you powering it with, does it do it with a battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am 

I've been primarily testing it alone with a 9v 300mA adaptor (through the PP2+ courtesy outlet, outlet on surge breaker/protector, and alone into the wall; Duracell brand), but I've also tried it with a few 9v 100mA outputs on a Voodoo Lab PP2+, daisy chained, and on a few 9v (new and lying around ones).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:04 am 
Site Admin

What type of solder are you using?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm 

60/40 tin/lead.

I picked up a fresh pack of batteries and now finding that the "buzz/hum" noise goes away when have it strictly on batteries (adapter disconnected).

The noise came back when reconnecting to a power source (any: isolated power supply, adapter, etc.), with battery inside being bypassed.

I made new wires, cleaned off the terminals of the jack, and soldered them back to the PCB, but it seems that the noise only comes from being connected to power through the dc jack.

edit:

I guess the issue is "resolved" or to an extent of what I can do for now. Since it's a compressor it shouldn't be draining batteries that fast. I'll possibly order another DC jack and pop it in to see if the one I got was faulty or if I damaged it.

Thanks for the replies though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 am 

My other question would be, have you measured the voltage coming out of your power supply? My place is the worst. Voltage at night is horribly high. Damn near drove me nuts one night before I figured it out. Batteries will drain quickly if you don’t disconnect the cables when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:03 pm 

Ranges
Adapters measure in 9.14v+/-
Daisy Chain in 9.00+/-
PP2+ in the 9.33+/-

All power options should be fine, haven't tried an 18v method yet, but the noise seemed to go away completely in the daisy chain method (where I've left the pedal).

I don't think my power at home has varied throughout days/nights, so that's good.

Before I had to only run it on battery, to remove the noise issue. That wasn't too much of an issue regarding removing an input jack from discharging the battery when not in use since the pedal first in my chain and I remove my guitar cable when not playing.