Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:04 pm 

Hey folks!

Bought myself a Classic Comp and the vintage upgrade kit as a Christmas gift for myself. Done some pedal modding but this is my first build from scratch. After populating and wiring and soldering, I turned it on and have sound!

However, there's a couple issues I've run into:

- verrrrrrrrrry noticeable drop in treble when pedal engaged
- fairly noticeable drop in volume when pedal engaged
- sustain pot produces noise when turning up/down

I've tried adjusting the trim pot which helps curb some of the noise and increase volume but doesn't really solve the problem. Figured I would ask here before messing about with everything I've installed.

Pictures attached:

Attachments:
byoc troubleshoot.jpg
byoc troubleshoot.jpg [ 975.4 KiB | Viewed 3819 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 pm 

You definitely need to check your soldering. Make sure to clip off the ends of the leads as close as possible. Some of yours are way too long. Some of your solder pads look like they don't have any solder applied. Try those things first and then check and see if that helps. Also reflow all the solder pads, I know it sounds like a.pain but it can make all.the difference.

Try this and let us know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm 

Resoldered a couple ones that looked like they needed touching up (the chip mainly, but also some of the in/out hookups), did some lead clipping and reflowed a bunch of the pads, and we have some definite progress!

It's now sounding normal when engaged but functioning intermittently. Seems if I tap on the enclosure the sound cuts in/out.

When it is functioning normally, I also noticed that the sustain works up until 3 o'clock and then causes the signal to drop pretty significantly. I figure this is an issue separate from the sound cutting in/out; I might take another look at the pot solder pads to ensure they're all secure, but any thoughts on those two issues if they sound familiar would be of great help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:35 pm 

Can you post some updated pictures of the board after reflowing? Sounds like a short somewhere or a grounding issue. Does it cut out when the pots and board are secured in the enclosure? If it does, you may want to check and see if anything is touching to cause a short.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:41 pm 

Did you adjust the trimpot per the build docs? Start in the middle and adjust the where you get the smoothest decay with the least distortion?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

Your pedal's problems are almost certainly due to the poor quality of your soldering. I would suggest that you start by reading the links below and apply the tips & techniques they contain.

Also, what type of solder iron and solder are you using?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52454

Additionally, you can find any number of videos on soldering on YouTube.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 pm 

chongmagic wrote:
Can you post some updated pictures of the board after reflowing? Sounds like a short somewhere or a grounding issue.

This.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

ALL of your solder joints need to be reflowed, not just some. This is a clear example of an iron that wasn't hot enough, or you just didn't hold the iron to the joints long enough. don't be afraid to get it hot. You should see "flow out". NONE of your joints have flow out. If you look at the topside of the PCB, the solder hasn't been drawn up the through-hole to the top side of the eyelet holes because you didn't hold the iron there long enough. All you did was melt some solder on the component leads and the PCB eyelets. You need to get the component leads and eyelets hot enough too, otherwise the solder will not stick to them and make electrical contact.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com