Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 pm 

Hello everyone. I'd be greatly appreciative of any help I can get from the community here as I try to get my classic compressor pedal working. This is my first build and first time soldering anything. Pic attached.

I'm building the Classic Compressor (https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... ressor-kit)

I plugged it into the amp, and the guitar played clean with the compressor pedal off; when I pressed the footswitch, the pedal's LED light came on, but the volume through the amp was next to nothing, even after turning the level and comp all the way up and down.

I went over the wiring and realized that I'd soldered the socket of the IC upside down (with the notch facing the footswitch instead of the plugs). I'd installed the chip with the proper orientation in my failed test. I tried inverting the IC and still got no signal.

Here are the DMM readings:

With the IC oriented properly in the inverted socket
Pin 1 0
2 3.65
3 3.65
4 0
5 0.6
6 2/6
7 9
8 0

With the IC oriented inverted in the inverted socket
Pin 1 7.5
2 7.6
3 7.5
4 0
5 5.8
6 2.5
7 9
8 0

I imagine I"ll have to resolder the socket properly. While I'm at it, do you all see anything else that needs adjustment, or does the DMM readings reveal anything else unusual?

Thanks so much,
Evan
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.57.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.57.17 PM.png [ 642.5 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:15 am 

Couple things:

1. The orientation of the socket is irrelevant. The orientation of the IC itself is very relevant. It should be installed with the notch/dot facing toward the top regardless of how the socket is installed. Hopefully the chip was not damaged while it was installed backwards.

2. Did you adjust the trimpot as indicated in the instructions?
Quote:
Once you've install the IC, it's time to test the pedal. If you don't get any sound at first, don't worry. You will need probably need to adjust the trimpot. If your trimpot isn't already set at the middle of its rotation, do so. This may or may not be the optimal setting for the trimpot, but it should definitely produce sound and be a good starting point for fine tuning. You should adjust the trimpot to the position where you get the least amount of distortion when playing your guitar and where you get the longest smoothest decay. This may take a few minutes and several adjustments. You should still get a very small amount of pleasing distortion. It's just the nature of the circuit. It is not perfectly clean, but the distortion does give it some warmth and is part of the pedals character. If you have an 18v adapter, we recommend using it while adjusting your trimpot. It makes the trimpot much more sensitive and easier to dial in. 18v will also increase headroom and reduce distortion.

3. Assuming correct component placement (which I haven't checked yet) and a functioning IC, your symptoms are most likely to be related to poor solder joints, but we can't evaluate that very well without seeing the bottom side of the board. So if #1 and #2 don't get you working, we're going to want to see more photos.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:15 am 

Thank you! I will reinstall the IC right-side up; I had no luck with any signal from the trimpots, but I will toy with it again, and then prob. have to resolder the board. Photos to come after more tinkering.

Best,
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am 

robotonsaturn wrote:
...and then prob. have to resolder the board.

Here's some guidance for that process: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

BTW, I've moved this thread over to the Compressors sub-forum where it more properly belongs....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Couple things:

1. The orientation of the socket is irrelevant. The orientation of the IC itself is very relevant. It should be installed with the notch/dot facing toward the top regardless of how the socket is installed. Hopefully the chip was not damaged while it was installed backwards.

2. Did you adjust the trimpot as indicated in the instructions?
Quote:
Once you've install the IC, it's time to test the pedal. If you don't get any sound at first, don't worry. You will need probably need to adjust the trimpot. If your trimpot isn't already set at the middle of its rotation, do so. This may or may not be the optimal setting for the trimpot, but it should definitely produce sound and be a good starting point for fine tuning. You should adjust the trimpot to the position where you get the least amount of distortion when playing your guitar and where you get the longest smoothest decay. This may take a few minutes and several adjustments. You should still get a very small amount of pleasing distortion. It's just the nature of the circuit. It is not perfectly clean, but the distortion does give it some warmth and is part of the pedals character. If you have an 18v adapter, we recommend using it while adjusting your trimpot. It makes the trimpot much more sensitive and easier to dial in. 18v will also increase headroom and reduce distortion.

3. Assuming correct component placement (which I haven't checked yet) and a functioning IC, your symptoms are most likely to be related to poor solder joints, but we can't evaluate that very well without seeing the bottom side of the board. So if #1 and #2 don't get you working, we're going to want to see more photos.

Hello!
Another first timer here. I just finished a Silver Pony, it didn't work. LED worked so I knew I had power. Bypass worked because I could get a clean signal to the amp. I checked all my wires and component placements, still nothing. Then I very carefully re-trimmed all my leads and painstakingly re-soldered the board. BINGO!!! Beautiful tone.

Problem was not so much my soldering skills - well a little bit for sure. BUT, I was using a cheap old Radio Shack 25 Watt soldering iron my dad gave me years ago - it sucked. So, I spent about as much as a new Wampler Pedal would cost on a variable temp digital Weller soldering set-up. OMG, don't waste your time with cheap tools.