Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:45 am 

Before I upload pictures of my build I wanted to check what to expect when dialing in the 2 knob classical compressor.

Everything works fine. Led comes on, there is sound and level knob works.
When I adjust the trimpot I can get it to sound cleanish with some distortion at the end of the decay. So nice cleanish tone and at the end of the decay a sudden drop in volume and distortion.
Or there is a lot of distortion (crackling sound) right at the beginning of the tone. Which is especially bad when maxing out the level and comp knobs.

So maybe you can give me some tips on what to listen for when dialing in the compressor.

Extra info:
I applied 18v and have the upgrade chip and transistors installed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Turn the sustain knob to full turn clockwise. You should be able to get a small boost from the pedal when dialed in correctly, so set the volume knob to somewhere between 1 and 3 o'clock, and that should give you a volume level similar to bypass. Then adjust the trimmer for maximum squishiness.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:03 pm 

Thank you. I succeeded in dailing in the compressor as you instructed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:46 am 

Still not satisfied with the tone I dialed in my compressor again and wanted to share my findings for other users to benefit from. I'm not an electronics wizard so apologies for the simplification.
After some research on the circuit, I found out that the trimpot is for dialing in the OTA chip in the circuit. An OTA needs the same or almost the same voltage levels on both inputs to work properly. From this I concluded that the trimpot needs to be near the middle position. Mine was almost at 3 o'clock so this couldn't be right. On an effects repair forum I found instructions for dialing in a MXR Dynacomp which also worked fine on the BYOC compressor.

Steps:
1. Set the trimpot in the middle position.
2. Turn both knobs (Level and comp) to max.
3. Put the pedal on 18 volts if possible. Makes the dialing in much more precise (this tip is also in the manual of the BYOC).
4. Connect your guitar and amp.
5. The amp should produce noise by now (normal for a compressor).
6. Turn the trimpot slightly to the right or left until the noise is at its loudest.
7. Backoff the level to unity gain (near 2 o'clock).
8. Play your guitar and make very very slight adjustments to the trimpot until you get maximum sustain.