Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:30 pm 

Update: I suspect I had some weak solder joints that broke loose due to the pressure of putting on the back of the enclosure. I reflowed solder and made the wiring as short as I could so I can have plenty of room for the PCB to rest nicely in the enclosure without any resistance from the wiring. Seems to work fine now. If it craps out again, I'll assume the same thing happened and likely fix it again by reflowing new solder.

I had this little guy working and jammed with it for an hour. The next day, the signal was choppy for a minute before cutting out completely and now it seems totally dead. I reflowed solder, redid the wiring, tested continuity with a multimeter (everything seemed to check out), cleaned the board with 99% IPA, and it still won't work. You can find pictures of my build from various angles here: https://imgur.com/a/yv4fzkL (PCB looks a little grimy in some photos - same results after cleaning that grime)

It works in bypass, the LED comes on when engaged, and adjusting the trim pot does nothing. On a rare occasion, I'll get a brief signal while testing, but I can't replicate anything. I've been testing it out of the enclosure so I can be sure that none of the wires are shorting.

I also tested voltages on the IC with a multimeter and got the following values:

1: 1.3 mV
2: 4.27 V
3: 4.27 V
4: 0
5: 150 mV
6: 2.76 V
7: 9.43 V
8: 3-6 mV (started around 6 mV, then slowly trickled to around 3 mV before my shaky hands couldn't keep it on the pin)

What else can I test?

Attachments:
File comment: I was also wondering if I should, in principle, be able to use this pre-enclosure schematic to test the Lil Comp. I tried this setup, using the DC jack in place of a 9V battery, and nothing happened. While troubleshooting this pedal, I came across a few resources who say its always best to test before doing the wiring, though I haven't come across such advice in the BYOC instruction manuals.
test_effect.png
test_effect.png [ 104.39 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]

Last edited by meowse on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Lil Comp no sound
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

meowse wrote:
On a rare occasion, I'll get a brief signal while testing, but I can't replicate anything. I've been testing it out of the enclosure so I can be sure that none of the wires are shorting.

I would take this to mean you've got a cold solder joint somewhere. Maybe one of the caps are broken internally. Sometimes the guts can get squished too hard when you screw the lid down.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:45 pm 

byoc wrote:
meowse wrote:
On a rare occasion, I'll get a brief signal while testing, but I can't replicate anything. I've been testing it out of the enclosure so I can be sure that none of the wires are shorting.

I would take this to mean you've got a cold solder joint somewhere. Maybe one of the caps are broken internally. Sometimes the guts can get squished too hard when you screw the lid down.

I'll be damned... I really didn't want you to be right because I thought I had already done a good enough job the first time I reflowed solder. Then I did another once over and it seems to be okay now. I still want to test it some more before I call this resolved because it seemed to be working consistently before it crapped out on me last time. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:29 pm 

And it happened again. I had it working, put it in the enclosure, then it worked for a bit before cutting out. I reflowed solder and it still won't come up. Next, I'm going to remove solder before resoldering.

This is the smallest pedal and the biggest hassle I've had across the five pedals I've built.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:05 am 

A solder joint problem remains the most likely cause of the behavior that you are experiencing. I wouldn't expect a bad component to show this come & go behavior.

Try removing the rear cover and re-testing the pedal; if the output returns, the cover plate may be shorting against something on the PCB. In that case, insulate the inside of the cover with electrical tape.

If the problem isn't affected by that, I'd suggest removing the "guts" from the enclosure and testing it that way. While running signal into the pedal, try wiggling each wire connection between the PCB and the pots and jacks, as these are the most likely culprits.

It may be helpful for you to review this post re: keeping the wire connections short and out of the way in these mini pedals where space is at such a premium: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52513

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:50 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
A solder joint problem remains the most likely cause of the behavior that you are experiencing. I wouldn't expect a bad component to show this come & go behavior.

Try removing the rear cover and re-testing the pedal; if the output returns, the cover plate may be shorting against something on the PCB. In that case, insulate the inside of the cover with electrical tape.

If the problem isn't affected by that, I'd suggest removing the "guts" from the enclosure and testing it that way. While running signal into the pedal, try wiggling each wire connection between the PCB and the pots and jacks, as these are the most likely culprits.

It may be helpful for you to review this post re: keeping the wire connections short and out of the way in these mini pedals where space is at such a premium: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52513

Thanks! I thought I had already updated the original post to say it's fixed, though I guess it's also good to update my most recent post, as well. In my case, I never located the weak links, but my last round of reflowing and rewiring helped a great deal. It's kind of funny that I thought this pedal would be the easiest but I have to say that I wasn't prepared to work with such a small enclosure.

Anyway, it's all good now. I appreciate the extra resource on wiring. I ended up at a similar point through trial and error, so this has been another good reminder that there's always more homework to do.