Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 pm 

Perhaps someone here can give me some advice.

I have an original BYOC Analog Vibrato. I LOVE IT. It's my favorite pedal. I use it nearly everyday on sessions.

I build a second BYOC Analog Vibrato (the new version) for my live board. It has the beautiful vibrato of the original version. BUT when the pedal is engaged, it feels like the signal is hitting some kind of low pass filter. I"m missing all the chime and high frequencies I get with the original version. I've of corse double checked everything. So I'm wondering if there is a filter in the circuit and if there's a component I can change out for a different value to get that top end back.

Any thoughts Wise Ones Of The Clones?

Thanks
s

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 am 

Please post photos of your build--we may spot something that you've overlooked. They need to be LARGE, well-focused, well-lit shots of both sides of the PCB and all of the switch and jack wiring.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm 

Let me get some pics together. I don't think it's a problem with the build. But a second set of eyes never hurts. In the mean time, is there cap that is filtering high end in the circuit?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm 

sleiweke wrote:
I have an original BYOC Analog Vibrato. I LOVE IT. It's my favorite pedal. I use it nearly everyday on sessions.

I build a second BYOC Analog Vibrato (the new version) for my live board. It has the beautiful vibrato of the original version. BUT when the pedal is engaged, it feels like the signal is hitting some kind of low pass filter. I"m missing all the chime and high frequencies I get with the original version. I've of corse double checked everything. So I'm wondering if there is a filter in the circuit and if there's a component I can change out for a different value to get that top end back.

There are various RC filters in the circuit, however the two circuits, both your original version and the new version, are identical. So they will sound identical as long as they are built and set up identical. It's not a matter of fussing with a certain filter.

A few things you can do to make sure they are both operating identically:
- First off, I agree completely with DVM - don't be shy with the pics.
- Measure the voltage at pin 3 of the 4558 op amp in your original build. Then, adjust the bias trim pot in your new build until those voltages match.
- Measure the resistance of the middle to the outer leg of the delay trim pot on your original and set the new one so that it also matches.
- If you do this and and the new one still has less highs, try swapping the MN3207 chips. If the sound follows the BBD in the new pedal to the old pedal, you've found the culprit.

New schematic: http://byocelectronics.com/analogvibratoschematic.pdf

Old version:
The signal path is everything in line between R2 and C5.