Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm 

Hi there,

I recently finished up building the analog delay, and while the delay portion of the pedal seems to work great there is a lot of high end and volume loss when the pedal is turned on. Attached is an audio file example of what I mean. This signal loss happens even when the delay level is turned all the way off as well.

I have a picture of the topside of the PCB, and can disassemble it to get at the bottom if necessary. I double checked the underside and could not find any obvious shorts / bad soldering joints before I mounted it into the enclosure. Some of the wires got a little melted from trying to get the soldering iron in to attach the jack wiring to the PCB but apart from that relatively cosmetic mistake I don't see any obvious issues.

I know that analog delays are supposed to be somewhat dark but this seems to be a bit extreme.

https://imgur.com/a/U8pqIqA - The topside of the PCB.

https://soundcloud.com/theevan117/frida ... X1IW5Pt3GL - Audio recording of the volume drop and high end roll-off. My phone is probably compressing the audio to some extent but in reality the audio drop is quite extreme. I'm using a Mooer Yellow Comp in front of the delay in the meantime to boost the levels back to unity-ish, and the volume on it is pretty cranked to get it back to a similar level compared to the bypass signal.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:45 pm 

Don't see anything misplaced, so that's good.

We really need to see a photo of the solder side of the PCB to assess the quality of your soldering and make any appropriate recommendations for improvement.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 am 

Sure thing, here's the underside.

https://imgur.com/a/CR4onvH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Your wiring is pretty gnarly. That could be causing the problem. There is a 100k resistor just to the right of eyelet 7. Looks like it might be a 10k instead of a 100k, but it's hard to tell. That would cause a loss of highs and volume. We can't see your capacitor values. A mix up of capacitor values in either the input buffer or output buffer would cause the same.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:16 pm 

While many of your solder joints look quite good, there are still quite a few that are irregularly shaped, which may indicate cold or incompletely formed joints. I would suggest reflowing such joints, aiming for a smooth conical shape. More details here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:37 pm 

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I went back through and reflowed a bunch of the solder joints, replaced the dodgy wires that I had patched together because they weren't long enough, and solidified a questionable connection to the input jack. I'm not sure exactly which part was the culprit, but something managed to fix the issue! Back to unity level and no high end roll off just like it should be!

Thanks a ton for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:10 pm 

Excellent! Glad to hear you got the pedal running properly. ENJOY!!! :mrgreen: