Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:44 pm 

I am building first of five pedals I recently ordered from BYOC, a Digital Ping Pong Delay. I have run into a question right at the start of the build. . .

The instructions call for three 1uf capacitors to be mounted on the underside, and the screenprint on the PCB similarly calls for a value of 1. In addition, the image in the instructions that shows the capacitors bent 90 degrees clearly shows a 1uf 25v capacitor.

My question revolves around the discovery that I don't receive any 1uf 25v capacitors with the kit. However, I do have three 100uf 25V capacitors and ten 1uf 50V capacitors.

Should I assume that the 100uf 25v capacitors are correct for the underside mounting?

Thanks very much for any insights!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 pm 

Use the 1uf/50V caps on the bottom of the PCB.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 am 

Thanks very much for the speedy reply, Stephen. Really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 pm 

After finishing the ESV Fuzz and loving it, I painted the Ping Pong Delay case and was excited to finish assembling this pedal, but. . .

. . .discovered that the black caps that I soldered to the underside of the board--standing up--actually block the pots. I am frankly a bit dumbfounded, as I closely followed these instructions in the PDF:

If your kit came with the small black aluminum electrolytic caps, just add them to the underside of the PCB normally. If your kit came with the larger light blue aluminum electrolytic caps, you will need to bend them down so that they lay flat against the PCB.

I am not quite sure what to do at this point, because I have already soldered all components on the top of the board, including the DIP sockets--two of which now block my ability to desolder the caps. And, even if i could desolder the three black caps, I have clipped their leads so closely as to make it impossible to hard-fix them to the board again.