Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

reaxis wrote:
what does unity gain mean for this pedal?

Unity gain, on any pedal, means the output volume is the same as the bypassed volume.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:59 pm 

i feel like that when i turn on the effect, i hear a little compression of the signal going through. when i turn the effect off- i hear the sound open up a bit more. this is without the bbd.

with the new 100K pot installed... i turn the knob a little to the right ( i cant turn it too far, itll take too much volume out), it squishes the volume down further when the effect is on. when the effect is off, the volume is louder... i guess thats pretty obvious though. haha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm...maybe we should try adjusting the gain of the buffers. After you get the new bbd. Maybe with the vibrato signal, it will sound normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:26 am 

yeah, that sounds like a plan.. should i leave the pot that i installed in there? i guess i could just leave it unturned, it would be the same as if i never installed it. waiting for the bbd is a good idea.

as a side note- the digital delay build is awesome, and i learned a great deal about painting, and more. i hope to post some pictures soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:16 am 

4 am...

at 330 this morning.. i FINISHED the CHORUS.

HOly FreaKin GEEZ...

I DID IT!!!!!!! im... in disbelief.

I worked.. day and night on this thing.. taking breaks- weeks in between at times.. reading info on this board every night.. breaking through the discouraging feeling that... maybe this pedal wasnt going to get along with my gear... i just refused to believe it. i could hear the potential..

well... i must have almost given up 4 seperate times on this pedal. I almost bought the analogman one for a few hundred bucks. I dont have that kind of cash.

I resoldered, retouched, rewired , scraped, many many times. Asked alot of questions, installed a seperate pot, took it out.. and read read, and thought about the distortion i was getting..

Well, i started to ease into it tonight again.. checking the parts.. i found myself retouching the wiring (they were kind of coming loose). then retesting it through a little practice amp... damn. distortion.. i repeated this cycle all night. then, i just about threw in the towel.

I went to bed.. with the forum on my comp- reading about the chorus problems that others had. I was reading about the trimpot- and how adjusting it may do certain things. I say to myself.."what the hell. ill try it again."

I went back to the pedal, (2:30 am) and started to play around with it.

Ive done this before, with no results- now im actually hearing the distortion clear up, with more high end coming through, depending on where i turned it...

i was moving the pot around in a small microscopic range compulsively.. trying to find that magic place... and i did.

It F*&*&ng works. I cant believe it. I can freakin STRUM.

It sounds amazing.

I called my friends and family right away (330 am). they all knew how much i worked on this thing and how much of a learning experience this was. (ive been modding, and learning about this stuff for a few years now, i still have a hard time with it!).

I hope im not delusional- and that the pedal is still functional tomorrow.

thanks keith for the extra bbd you sent me, and thank you everyone who helped me with this tech talk that i had a real hard time with learning. I was so close to scrapping this thing for parts.. especially tonight.

I CANT BELIEVE THIS!! well, i had to put this at the end of my original chorus thread.... yay!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:25 am 

This is most exellent news, now I wanna get one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am 
Site Admin

So...which trimpot was it that you adjusted....just the stock 100k or was it one of the add on trimpots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:28 pm 

it was the stock one.. the square blue thingie that you twist with a screwdriver. I took out the other pot i tried. maybe in combination with adjusting the trimpot, and reinstalling the other volume pot, it will help eliminate more distortion when strummed aggresively.

It kind of acts differently with my other guitar ... and if you strum a bit too hard, it does clip.

but , i couldnt even play a note without the distortion before. If i dont play too aggressively, the chorus is manageable, and thats far better than before.

i dont know if it was the trimpot, or the variety of other things i had to try to make this chorus pedal function better.

ill have to think about adding the pot... who knows. for now, it sounds best when played on the middle switch (both humbuckers).

jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:42 pm 

Heres another report for yall...

i was testing the chorus further today, and although the problem was far better, and there was only distortion when strummed really hard (engaged).

I was just strumming for the hell of it with the effect OFF, and i thought i heard just a tiny bit of clipping (which i never noticed before) i should probably tell you guys this is a tiny fender frontman practice amp that i used to blast when i first started to play in bands. i thought that maybe it was partially blown, so i tried the chorus in my marshall DSL 4x12 rig just now..

im happy to report... no noise. i strummed hard, and no distortion..there are distinct sounds when i switch from the treble pickup to the other two- all settings sound great.

NOW i really cant believe this is my chorus! I cant believe there is no distortion. It was unusable for so long that it probably wont even sink in for a while!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:45 am 
Site Admin

I had a similar problem with an ADA flanger I just bought and a SF fender champ. It was clipping like a sonofabitch....even in bypass. I took it apart and saw that while it was not truebypass, it still had mechanical bypass, so that didn't make sense. Plugged straight into the fender and sure enough it was the amp. Bad tube.