Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:38 pm 

I have no way of posting pictures right now, sorry, I know that will shunt possible help with troubleshooting. If I can get a camera I will supply pics. I looked on the forum for a post describing a similar problem with no avail.

I submit this info in hopes to gain confidence in lieu of pictures:

My skills background (10 years audio tech), re-capping two large frame audio consoles and installing two new automated large frame consoles with peripherals, also being part of refurbing a local TV station, and helping build a new satellite TV station as well as repairing small parts and cables. And of course on my own time I like to screw up my guitar amplifiers with a soldering iron and either learn, or call my amp tech (he is a genius). I am using a good meter, a weller with variable temp control and have an oscope and any other tools that may be needed (heat sink, panavise, etc.)

...but I do realize there are other variables involved with pedals, like needing tiny little fingers to do lead dress in a tiny little box.

wordy and tedious for you, fun for me :)

I have built a couple of the easier pedals with immediate success.
In my opinion, the Flanger was as easy, same process just longer.

When the pedal is out of bypass and the circuit is engaged it sounds perfect, nice flange, as good as or better than my T.C Electronic chorus/flanger. I mean, really nice.

So the problem happens when I put it in bypass. Either output is fine by it's self but if I try to send to two amplifiers simultaneously the volume dips slightly and the high end disappears, at least it seems like everything past 1k drops off. and all of this is while the effect is bypassed.

I am certain that it is something I have missed during the build, but it is difficult to test a circuit that is being bypassed. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a phase issue between the two channels? I am using 2 separate cables to different amplifiers.

Any ideas? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm 

The flanger achieves stereo output by splitting the output signal and sending one to the jack that is 180 degrees out of phase with the other. You are experiencing phase cancellation of one output against the other, most probably. Are you running to two separate amps or are you running into two channels of the same amp?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:45 pm 

Yes, two separate amplifier heads each with their own cabinets.

mmarsh wrote:
The flanger achieves stereo output by splitting the output signal and sending one to the jack that is 180 degrees out of phase with the other.

Is this true even in bypass?

Does the bypass switch take the entire circuit out of the signal chain or is there a buffer that is still engaged when in bypass? By the looks of the 3pdt switch and the header unit it should be true bypass. How you all managed to do a stereo true bypass is beyond me, nice.

I checked continuity from the header to all the corresponding points on the pcb, keeping in mind what position the switch is in as well as each pin's given function within context.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:30 pm 

Hollowbody wrote:
I checked continuity from the header to all the corresponding points on the pcb, keeping in mind what position the switch is in as well as each pin's given function within context.

Would this qualify as incoherent rambling? Now do I win a cookie?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 am 

Both outputs are true bypass. The dry out uses a millennium bypass circuit to get TB - there is no buffer engaged during bypass. To make sure you don't have a short somewhere in the wiring, check continuity from the tip of the input jack to the tips of both output jacks while the pedal is in bypass. If you get any resistance, you have a short somewhere. But it sounds like each output works fine individually, but you get drop off only when sending the outs to separate amps, correct?

It sounds like mmarsh is correct and you're getting some phase cancellation or some loading of some kind. You can try putting an inverting buffer between one of the outs and one of the amps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:57 pm 

Morgan wrote:
But it sounds like each output works fine individually, but you get drop off only when sending the outs to separate amps, correct?

Yes, the outputs are fine individually in or out of bypass. And the thing sounds incredible in mono or stereo when I am using the flanger circuit. But in bypass, using both outputs to two separate amps is when it gets seriously muffled.

Even though I have no problem using my TC in stereo in or out of bypass with the same signal chain I am still going to ring out my entire rig and check each and every connector, including the amps in case there is something loading my signal because the TC uses a buffer in bypass mode and that seems to be the biggest difference.

Morgan wrote:
To make sure you don't have a short somewhere in the wiring, check continuity from the tip of the input jack to the tips of both output jacks while the pedal is in bypass.

You can try putting an inverting buffer between one of the outs and one of the amps.

I will do all of these things as soon as I get back home (couple of days).

You guys are awesome and to me this is part of what is cool about doing these pedals. I am having to troubleshoot and so I am learning.

The only downside is that I have played guitar, but not seriously practiced since I started the first pedal. I need to restructure my time. I guess I have a new addiction. :mrgreen:

I'll get cracking and post the results, and hopefully I get a digi camera for xmas.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 pm 

This took longer than expected because I have been spending more time with other stuff.

One of my amps was putting way too much load on the signal chain and the anomaly became more apparent in bypass.

Now with a better new amp and a revamped front end on the other one the flanger now sounds excellent and the bypass is clean.

I'm not really a big fan of flange in general but this build was for a friend and we both agree that this is a very good example of what this effect is capable of.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, now I can get moving on the 5 knob comp.