Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm 

I love this build. It was challenging and filled my nostrils with delicious flux vapor (sorry brain) and after it was completely done I was delighted at how gorgeous it sounds...that is except for the first delay. I've played with the trip pot, I've searched through the entire circuit with my circuit tester and multimeter. I've tried everything I can think of but it still has this weird static on the first delay.

Every delay afterward is warm and buttery. The dry signal is cool too. It's that first delay.

What can a fellow do further to diagnose/fix the problem? I love this thing dearly and just want it to stop being in pain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:45 pm 

Try reversing the position of the two PT2399 chips and let us know if anything at all changes in the pedal's behavior. Also play with the delay time. Does the noise on the 1st repeat go away with shorter delay times?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 pm 

Do you mean:

-Swap each of the chips so that they are in each other's sockets?
or
-Turn them around so that pin 1 is in pin 16's slot (essentially turning them 180 degrees)?

The static does not disappear when the delay time knob is turned down but it does lessen slightly. Again though, it's only on the first delay no matter where on the knob I've turned.

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT:
Swapped out the chips and put each one in the other's sockets.

Have the Reps. knob at 12 o'clock and the delay time knob at 3:30/4 o'clock and the whole thing is one an infinite loop of growling, distorted mess. Sounds like a ship's engine if I was listening to it from an alternate dimension.

Does this mean one of the chips is bad? Did I mess up the build?

Lemme know.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:22 pm 

moonrecordingco wrote:
Do you mean:

-Swap each of the chips so that they are in each other's sockets?

Yes
moonrecordingco wrote:
-Turn them around so that pin 1 is in pin 16's slot (essentially turning them 180 degrees)?

No, don't do that, you might fry the chips.

moonrecordingco wrote:
Swapped out the chips and put each one in the other's sockets.

Have the Reps. knob at 12 o'clock and the delay time knob at 3:30/4 o'clock and the whole thing is one an infinite loop of growling, distorted mess. Sounds like a ship's engine if I was listening to it from an alternate dimension.

Does this mean one of the chips is bad? Did I mess up the build?

Can you provide some more explanation? I don't know what the pedal was doing with the Reps. knob at 12 o'clock and the delay time knob at 3:30/4 o'clock before you swapped the chips. The repeats knob can be pretty sensitive depending on where the trim pot is set. It sounds like what you are describing is the runaway oscillation you get when the repeats is turned up very high, which is normal.

How does the chip swap affect the sound keeping the knobs at the same positions/all other things being equal? Any effect on the first repeat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm 

In the same position, before the swap, it didn't run away and self-oscillate. It also didn't run away and distort like this. Previously the pedal would, in any position would have the initial delay sound static-y and then the rest of the repeats would sound lovely. Now the delays distort as they progress and then run away and self-oscillate into an engine-from-Hell sound.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:48 am 

Well, it sounds like the PT2399s are certainly not matched (not that they have to be at all) but it's difficult to determine if you have a bad one. This is what I would do:

- Reset the trim pot according to the instructions: " Most people want to set this so that the repeats eventually fade away after 10 seconds or so when the repeats knob is full turn clockwise. If you want infinite repeats, turn this trimpot up a little more. If you want self-oscillation (when the repeats runaway and keep getting louder) turn it up even more."

Are you able to dial in the oscillation with the trim pot? If you can, is the delay noise still present?

- If that fails, swap the chips again and verify that the noise is still present. Sometimes re-seating chips in the sockets fixes issues.

If the noise is still there, contact BYOC and ask for a replacement set of chips.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:36 pm 

Has there been a resolution to this problem? My Echo Royal is doing the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:20 am 

Please start a new thread, as we prefer to keep each thread to a single customer issue. Similar symptoms often turn out to have completely different causes. Please adhere to these guidelines in your post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20913

Please note that good quality photos--LARGE, well-lit & well-focused--are critically important in helping us to effectively troubleshoot your problem.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2