Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm 

I only have phone pix. So I'll see if you can send me in the right direction w/o them. I printed out the picture that was posted with the labels on all the components.
1. Bypass works
2. LED comes on and off when it's supposed to.
3. Ramp feature works with either the momentary footswitch or the other switch.
4. Rate and Rise functions do not work.
5. Works the same with battery or power supply.

I had everything built in the enclosure. When I first opened up the enclosure the Rate function started to work intermittently depending on the position of the board so I first thought this was a short to ground when inside the enclosure. Now I have the board removed and have reattached the the 9v adapter so I can use the battery or 9v power supply. Rate has stopped functioning so I think it is probably a bad solder joint. The Rise function has never worked. Depth works fine as do the trim pots to get the pedal functioning correctly. All the circuitry is quiet no matter what is turned on or off or up or down.

Where would you look first for the rate function issue? Should I reflow all the solder joints. I can't see the ones under the jacks.

I will get access to a better camera if needed.

Thanks,
Tubeamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 pm 

Question - do you understand what the rise time control does? I only ask because this control seems to be the cause confusion fairly often and a lot of builders have not previously used this circuit before. And you said that the ramp feature works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 pm 

You say the rate does not work but the depth does. What does the pedal do in effect mode then? Does the modulation just stay at one rate regardless if where the rate control is set?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

I had the rate working for a small period of time and I could speed or slow down the vibrato effect. Too fast was non-musical, but I'm sure it's good for effect. Maybe I'm unsure of what rise does. With just depth working would a change in rise be obvious or does it affect the way rate works. I'm not familiar with the original pedal, but I wanted to build it.

Thanks!
Tubeamp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 am 

This video should help explain some of the functions:

The rise time control only works when the toggle switch is in the up position. It controls how quickly the vibrato effect comes in when you press the momentary footswitch. All the way CCW makes the vibrato come in immediately when you hold the momentary footswitch; turning it CW slows down how quickly the vibrato comes in.

Since your pedal is making vibrato, we know the LFO is working. Seems like you symptom of having some vibrato, but the rate pot not adjusting the rate would likely be due to a bad ground connection on the rate pot. I would re-do all the solder connections on the rate pot and the wires that go from the pot to the PCB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:18 am 
Site Admin

It should be mentioned that rise time controls how quickly the depth comes on. It has no effect on the speed of the vibrato. And it can only get as deep as what you have the depth set for. So if you don't have the depth up very high, and the rise time fairly low, it's not going to do much of anything.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm 

Hi Morgan,

Since I didn't know how Rise worked, I didn't know how to test it. Thank you, now I can test that function properly, probably works, I was just twisting knobs. I will reflow the solder joints on the Rate control and let you know how it works.

Thank you!
Tubeamp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:15 pm 

Hi Morgan,

All is well in the Analog Vibrato land. I first checked out the rise function which was working. So I took your advice and concentrated on the Rate pot and connections. After reflowing the solder joints on the Rate pot and board, the Rate control was back working. It still took me a while to get things back into the box. (found another wire that was on verge or breaking) All together and working. :D . Thank you. I'm learning as I go.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!
:D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 pm 

Nice job!