Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm 

First off - as is, this is completely usable as is and I can pretend I'm East Bay Ray from the Dead Kennedys with his echoplex all day with the sounds I'm getting now.

The question - everything on the pedal is working as expected - it does what it says it will do 100% but :

When I'm playing, even clean, and even set with minimal repeats/delay, the echoes start breaking up/getting fuzzy from the very first one. When I was doing the build, I sat with a magnifying glass and reflowed anything that looked suspect (I have been bitten before...), so I'm -reasonably- willing to trust my soldering right now (if it comes down to it, and there are no suggestions, I'll take it apart and get pictures, but this is the first pedal I feel like I did "right", so I'm REALLY hoping not to have to... ;) )

Where is the first place to start troubleshooting, assuming that it's doing 99.99% of what it's supposed to be doing?

Or, alternately, is this expected behavior, and I get on with my life with a nice little echoplex/memory fuzzy echo thing going on?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 pm 

Try swapping the 2 PT2399 chips and see if the tone changes at all. Also, the longer the delay time is, the more lofi these chips get. So shorter repeats should be much cleaner than longer repeats. And third, since this circuit uses a compander chip like an analog delay, you can expect a certain amount of distortion.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:13 pm 

Can do - I don't expect it to be crystal clean, but it definitely breaks up faster than I was expecting it to. Will swap the chips and report back!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm 

Hey Mate. I just finished an Echo Royal build and I would agree that it definitely distorts quickly and is quite noisy. I was also concerned about this, but when I went back and listened to the demo video on the BYOC website carefully, I hear the same distortion. I think it's just the nature of the circuit. Check out the demo video...especially with headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-eZeOuyHs

I was a bit bummed about this myself, but the more I play with it, the less I notice it. I tried the delay chip swap myself and it made no difference.

Cheers...