Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lil Reverb Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm 

Having trouble getting my pedal to work. First I've reflowed all the joints and checked the wiring over and over. The sound is passing but I only get a clean output. The pots don't effect output. I'm also getting a loud pop when turning it on. The following are photos of the pcb and wiring. I did burn the pad on the input on one side, but the problem existed before this. I'm building outside of its enclosure during this problem solving phase. I originally built it and there was no output when turned on. I resolved it, but there still no effect but with clean sound reaching the output.

Attachments:
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg [ 133.11 KiB | Viewed 3657 times ]
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg [ 134.76 KiB | Viewed 3657 times ]
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg [ 130.91 KiB | Viewed 3657 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lil Reverb Help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am 

From reading other posts, I'm suspecting my FV-1 chip. But I'm unsure how to properly troubleshoot. I built the signal tester and know how to minimally use my multimeter. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If I posted a video of what its doing (or more like what its not doing) would that be helpful?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 am 

Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

shparsh wrote:
I built the signal tester and know how to minimally use my multimeter.

Good deal, you have all you need to find out what's wrong.

We know that the dry signal path is working, but we need to figure out why you're not getting wet output. PCB map and schematic are below for reference.

Multimeter

Take a few DC voltages. If you're not sure how, there are lots of tutorials on youtube.
Take voltages on the FV-1. Pin 1 have the dot next to it. You should have 3.3 volts DC on pins 6 and 8. You should have zero volts/ground on pins 4, 7, and 11 - 13.

Signal Tester

Make sure you understand how to use this tool.

1) Make sure that signal is getting to the FV-1: listen for signal at R15 and pin 1 and 2
2) See if signal is exiting the FV-1: listen for signal at R17 and pin 28.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 am 

Thank you so much for the help. I went through using your advice I realized the signal wasn't coming in. So I resoldered the resistor, and I'm up and running. I'm extremely new to soldering and electronics, but was wondering what I should do with the significant noise coming from when I turn on the pedal. I narrowed it down to my wiring joints and the switch, but when I touch them and its plugged in I get noise. Do I just need to reflow these joints? Since it will be in the enclosure I'm not too worried except for the switch. I dont want a loud pop every time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:36 pm 

I wouldn't worry too much about noise and switch pop until you get everything mounted in the enclosure.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:36 pm 

Were you able to work out where/what the problem was? I’m building the same pedal now and it passes clean signal when unengaged, then makes popping/cracking/pulsating noises when the pedal is engaged. I’m a total newb, this is my 2nd byoc pedal build.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:58 am 

redsg1 wrote:
Were you able to work out where/what the problem was? I’m building the same pedal now and it passes clean signal when unengaged, then makes popping/cracking/pulsating noises when the pedal is engaged. I’m a total newb, this is my 2nd byoc pedal build.

I'd recommend starting a new thread with a description of the problem and photos of your build. It works out better for everyone if we can keep the troubleshooting separate, even when the symptoms seem to be the same.

My band, Austin Hollow