Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:43 am 

Hi Guys,

After a soldering break of over a year I thought to try out building some kits again. I did some DI's and 500 series recording equipment in the past, so I thought building some pedals to be more or less similar. After some looking around I ordered the BYOC Analog Delay.

The building process went okay, I didn't seem to run into any problems. Painting the case took a while since I had never done that before and wanted to do something similar to the gorgeous case featured on the demo video of the product page. (https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... nalogdelay).

Anyway, I finished building the pcb, the case, and the wiring of the pedal. So, it was time for me to set up the internal trimpots. When I now thoroughly read the manual, I might have made a mistake from the beginning. I set the knobs fully open, where the manual says to set them at noon.

At first, I could hear a vague delay on my signal, so I thought the pedal is working and could start with adjusting the trimpots. Adjusting the BIAS trimpot didn't make a lot of difference, but as I said, the delay signal was quite vague, so I thought this would resolve as I iterate adjusting the trimpots. Similarly, adjusting the CLOCK trimpot didn't make a difference either.

But when I adjusted the REPEAT trimpot, something strange happened. As I turned it clockwise, all of a sudden I heard a very high pitched noise. I quickly turned the trimpot counterclockwise, but I fear it was already too late.

Now, when I adjust the trimpots, it does nothing, and even the vague delay sound has disappeared. I would say the sound is just clean.

My question is, is it possible that I burned a component by adjusting the trimpot? or maybe it is more plausible that I made a mistake elsewhere, and adjusting the trimpots only made it worse?

Also (I don't know if this is related) when I turn off the pedal, the bypass doesn't work. But, when I turn the pedal on and then remove the DC voltage, the bypass works like a charm. Is this normal, is this the wiring of the foot switch, or is this just a faulty foot switch?

I will disassemble and include pictures as soon as I stop beating myself up about it :)

Thanks in advance for the help, have a nice day & take care!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:53 am 

hummingwire wrote:
I will disassemble and include pictures as soon as I stop beating myself up about it :)
Before I say anything else, I'll say that this is the crucial next step. We can't get very far without photos.

hummingwire wrote:
But when I adjusted the REPEAT trimpot, something strange happened. As I turned it clockwise, all of a sudden I heard a very high pitched noise. I quickly turned the trimpot counterclockwise, but I fear it was already too late.
Did you feel a snap when you turned it up? Trimpots are fragile, and can break if you turn them too far. Did the high pitched noise go away when you turned it back?

hummingwire wrote:
My question is, is it possible that I burned a component by adjusting the trimpot? or maybe it is more plausible that I made a mistake elsewhere, and adjusting the trimpots only made it worse?
Unlikely that the trimpot setting caused any damage. Much more plausible that you made a mistake. (No offense!)

hummingwire wrote:
Also (I don't know if this is related) when I turn off the pedal, the bypass doesn't work. But, when I turn the pedal on and then remove the DC voltage, the bypass works like a charm. Is this normal, is this the wiring of the foot switch, or is this just a faulty foot switch?
This one has me confused. I think photos will help. Make sure you include clear views of all your wiring, both on the DC jack and on the footswitch. Are you positive you had the guitar going into the input jack and the output jack going to the amp? This is a surprisingly common error, although I'm not sure it would explain your exact problem here.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:25 am 

I removed the enclosure so I could take some pictures:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:36 am 

sjaustin wrote:
Before I say anything else, I'll say that this is the crucial next step. We can't get very far without photos.

Included some photos above. If you would like some close ups or any extra clarification, let me know

sjaustin wrote:
Did you feel a snap when you turned it up? Trimpots are fragile, and can break if you turn them too far. Did the high pitched noise go away when you turned it back?

I Did not feel a snap of any kind. As soon as I heard the high pitched noise I dialed back, and the noise went away.

sjaustin wrote:
Unlikely that the trimpot setting caused any damage. Much more plausible that you made a mistake. (No offense!)

None taken! I realise I must have done something wrong, otherwise I don't think I would have made a post about it in the first place. Thank you Scott for taking the time to look into it.

sjaustin wrote:
This one has me confused. I think photos will help. Make sure you include clear views of all your wiring, both on the DC jack and on the footswitch. Are you positive you had the guitar going into the input jack and the output jack going to the amp? This is a surprisingly common error, although I'm not sure it would explain your exact problem here.

I followed the signal direction of the demo video, so I figure that's not the problem.
As I'm thinking about it, I must at least have done something wrong with wiring the footswitch. If the footswitch has two modes, signal-through-pcb and bypass, then I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the bypass wiring. (Haven't done any signal tracing yet, this is purely hypothetical.)

Again, thank you for taking the time to look into it!
Ben

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:30 am 

I think you need to swap the green and red wires on your DC jack, but I can't tell for sure because the photos that include that part are focused on other areas. A clear shot of the jack would help, or you could triple check the way it should be wired. This might be the cause of the bypass failure when power is disconnected. (I'm still not totally following what was going on there.)

I have to work all day today, so I won't be able to spend time looking at your component placement right now, but hopefully one of the other mods will have time to check on that. I'll revisit later.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm 

You wouldn't hurt anything twiddling the trimpots, though you can definitely make some loud, unpleasant noises. So not to worry about that.

There is a serious trimpot issue, however, which you need to fix--you don't have them mounted in the correct spots. The two 10K pots are labeled "103", the 100K is "104", and the 1M is "105". So at this point, only the Cancel trimmer is in the right spot. The other three will need to be removed and remounted correctly. The desoldering needs to be done carefully to avoid damaging the PCB eyelets. I recommend a solder sucker to remove the bulk of the solder from each joint, followed by good quality desoldering braid to clean up the residual. These tools are available many places; the links below are for your reference:

https://www.amazon.com/WEmake-WM-SP4-So ... 0002KRAAG/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9VLA2/

Just a note--the MG Chemicals braid is the best I've ever used. It soaks up molten solder like a sponge. Highly recommended.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:51 pm 

After fiddling with desoldering the trimpots and soldering them in the right place this time, my pedal now works like a charm!

I want to thanks you guys for your help, couldn't have done this without you. I just didn't realise there were different values for the trimpots.

Hereby a pic of the finished result!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:10 pm 

Glad it's working! It's a great pedal. Enjoy.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:00 pm 

hummingwire wrote:
After fiddling with desoldering the trimpots and soldering them in the right place this time, my pedal now works like a charm!

Great! ENJOY!!! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2