Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:17 pm 

Hi

I just finished building the BYOC Spring Reverb and it didn't work right away. After spraying the opamp sockets everything worked fine, even replaced the opamps and it worked OK.

The decay sounds distorted when playing muted strings or any aggressive playing designed to create a boing or splash but instead sounds scratchy.

Is there a fix to make this sound more like a digital Spring Reverb should?

Thanks
Reno Schembri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:29 pm 

Hi Remo, welcome to the forum. We'd be glad to try and help you. In order to do that, we'll need to see some photos of your build. Please make sure that they are well lit and in clear focus, and be sure to include both sides of your circuit board as well as your switch and off board wiring. They need to be large enough for us to see details. If you have any trouble uploading photos, please let us know!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:41 am 

Hi Scott
Here are some pictures of the reverb, front & back of the board and a close up of the switch.

I just figured out how to post pictures on this site there may be duplicates.

Attachment:
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG [ 976.3 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG [ 976.3 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]

Last edited by sjaustin on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed duplicate photos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:37 pm 

Here is another picture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 pm 

Thanks for the photo. There were four photos of the same image (the solder side of the PCB), so I edited the post down to have just the one. I think you must have not placed the others inline correctly after uploading.

If the board upload is giving you trouble, you can upload to a file storage site like Dropbox or Drive, or to an image sharing site like Imgur, and then post the links here.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:21 pm 

Hi Scott i think I've got it. Let me know if you need further pictures, i can remove the brick if needed.
Attachment:
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG [ 318.62 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG [ 372.28 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG [ 349.95 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 pm 

OK, thanks for those new photos. Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't see any misplaced components, although it's hard to see some of them, and the color quality and focus of the photos is pretty low, so I am not 100% sure. I can't see if the 1N4001 diode is in backwards, but that shouldn't affect your sound anyway.

2. There are several solder joints that look like they could use more solder and/or a cleaner joint. Ideally, we would see the solder filing the entire eyelet and coming through to the component side a little. Also, there are a couple spots where there may be some stray solder, such as between pins 8 and 9 of the brick on the component side of the board. Again, I can't tell for sure due to the photo quality.

3. If this were my build, I would go back through and reheat every solder joint, melting it and then allowing it to freeze again. As I went, I would make sure my iron tip was clean and shiny, cleaning up any areas where solder is outside the eyelet and adding more when the solder doesn't fill the entire eyelet. There are some solder joints that are below the reverb brick. For these, you can probably clean it up from the top side. (Removing the brick will be extremely difficult unless you have desoldering braid and some experience.)

4. Finally: I don't have one of these pedals, and I don't know too much about the way the circuit is designed. So the other mods will be more help if #3 doesn't work. Let us know how that goes, and if you're still stuck, I'll ask them to take a look at this post.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm 

Hi Scott

Thanks for having a look at the photos and giving me some advice.

I went through and found that the cap beside one of the opamps needed more solder.

I also gave each solder joint a good touch up and the unit is solid.

Upon doing some research it seems that the module is said to have a decay that sounds like as one guy put it "it sounds like throwing marbles into a cave". After listening to some demos of high end pedals with the exact same brick they all have that sound but it's a bit nicer less aggressive.

Hopefully there's a mod out there on how to voice the decay, overall its warm sounding.

Best Regards
Reno Schembri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

The .01uF C3 capacitor is the wet signal "high cut" cap. If you want to further reduce high frequencies, simply increase the value of this cap.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com