Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:45 pm 

I’ve been in troubleshooting mode with this BYOC CE chorus clone and need some help. This is my 3rd pedal build.

Here’s where I’m at:
I hear audio in bi-pass mode, but no audio when activated (both with battery and wall power). The LED light is on when activated and pulses at different speeds when turning the pots. I double checked that the wiring matches up properly. No wired connections are crossing. I just tried re-soldering.

One thing to call out, when I first tried the pedal, one of the IC’s was upside down (4558). I’ve since reversed that, but still no luck.

I built an audio probe today, which is working, but still trying to wrap my head around how to trace based off of the schematic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:57 am 

The 4558 will need to be replaced. Whenever you install a dual op-amp backwards it reverses the power connections and instantly fries the chip when you power it up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:42 am 

Thanks. Just ordered a new one. Related question. I’m just getting into pedal making. I don’t plan to do this at scale, but does it make sense to buy back up parts in bulk so I have reserves on-hand for situations like this? I know things like jacks and knobs are fairly common, but is there a common set of ICs and other components?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:26 am 

Jdilly wrote:
Thanks. Just ordered a new one. Related question. I’m just getting into pedal making. I don’t plan to do this at scale, but does it make sense to buy back up parts in bulk so I have reserves on-hand for situations like this? I know things like jacks and knobs are fairly common, but is there a common set of ICs and other components?
Heck yes! That way you can replace parts or build something if you decide one day you need an overdrive or fuzz. I thing you’ll find most of us do. It’s called a sickness and we all have it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 am 

Ha! I feel ya. Fun for days! It definitely helped me transition away from buying pedals monthly. :D

So how do you know which ICs are interchangeable and which ones aren't?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:38 am 

You just gotta read their datasheets.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:51 pm 

The ones that I find useful to stock are dual op amps and charge pumps. For the latter, be sure to get ones with an "s" on the end of the type name, since the non-s ones will squeal in audio circuits. Once exception is the LT1054, my personal favorite. Popular dual op amps include: JRC4558D, RP4558P, NE5532, OPA2134A, LM833, TL072 and TL082, among others.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2