Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:26 pm 

UPDATE: I reflowed solder throughout most of the board (I can't easily to get under the pots), re-did the wiring on the Delay Time pot, swapped the two PT2399 IC positions, and applied Deoxit D5 to a couple of the pots. I still need to spend more time playing with the pedal to check for issues but I noticed some improvements in a short session.

UPDATE 2: After playing around with the pedal for ~20 minutes, I didn't find any major problems. The blend knob is still a little scratchy but only noticeable when there's no input signal (I can make a recording if this should be a fixable problem).

Current Issue:
  • The Blend pot is scratchy. Very soft/low-volume, but it's definitely there.

Resolved issues:
  • (fixed) When I engage the pedal, there's a low "thud" noise.
  • (fixed) I get inconsistent results when switching between tap tempo and delay time knob.
  • (wasn't actually a problem) When I adjust delay time knob, I get a popping noise (even when guitar volume is off; listen here from 0:10-0:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElhMURm6XBw&t=10s).
  • (wasn't actually a problem) Not necessarily new, but I just noticed that the Modulation Rate pot is harder to turn than the other pots. I applied Deoxit D5 but it's still just as resistant. It seems to function properly. I don't see anything that is hindering its movement.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Photos are still from before fixes - will try to get new pictures uploaded shortly)

Last edited by meowse on Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

That video doesn't really help me to understand what the problem is. Are you getting a weird popping noise when the delay time is maxed out or near maxed out? Or any time you adjust the delay time?

There's likely nothing wrong with your pot. It's a different brand. It's just stiffer.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:35 pm 

byoc wrote:
That video doesn't really help me to understand what the problem is. Are you getting a weird popping noise when the delay time is maxed out or near maxed out? Or any time you adjust the delay time?

There's likely nothing wrong with your pot. It's a different brand. It's just stiffer.

Thanks for the response! And my apologies - I accidently deleted the video link of my specific issues when I updated the post. I updated the original post to include my video, as well as the video of the other person's issue and their fix. Here's a link to my original video again, where you can hear the noise issue at 0:10-0:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElhMURm6XBw&t=10s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

That noise at 0:10 is normal. The PT2399 always makes that noise when you increase the delay time quickly.

Are the tap tempo and division features functioning correctly now?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:49 pm 

byoc wrote:
That noise at 0:10 is normal. The PT2399 always makes that noise when you increase the delay time quickly.

Are the tap tempo and division features functioning correctly now?

Thank you for clarifying! And yes, the tap tempo, divisions, and mode switching is all working well now. I updated my original post to reflect these and other developments. The only persistent issue is a very low scratching sound from the Blend pot. It's the only pot that makes noise (aside from Delay Time). The noise from Blend isn't something I'm too bothered by or care to invest much time to fix, if it is fixable, but I'm leaving it here in case someone has insight or wants to know more about the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

The blend or mix knob is a passive cross fader. It uses Vref (voltage reference or the voltage divide at R32/33) as its ground. Sometimes this type of cross fade just makes a crackling noise when you turn the knob and there's not really anything you can do about it. Sometimes it has to do with the ground in your specific environment. You can try pulling the center pin of the mix pot and connecting it straight to chassis ground.