Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:03 pm 

First time builder here. I am working on building the Classic Delay kit. I got a splash of solder on the PCB, and while trying to remove it, I managed to strip off the solder pad... :( It's pretty obvious in the pictures, especially in the picture from the back, the one marked "7" which will eventually connect to lug #7 of the footswitch. I am pretty sure the solder pad I ripped off is still in the through hole. I think I will still be able to get a wire in there, but wanted to be sure I didn't ruin something worse. Can anyone help me figure out where I should place the leads to test for continuity? I am guessing it could still be ok, but would rather check it out now than have an issue to troubleshoot later.

Also now that I am looking, some of those joints don't look like they have much solder, am I adding enough?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:13 pm 

Yeah, that pad is pretty much gone on both sides. You can try using it, and it may work--what's important is that there's still a connection to the PCB trace that runs just below the eyelet on that top side. If that trace is broken, then you have a couple of repair options. One is to use the #7 small eyelet immediately above the footswitch cutout on the PCB for the footswitch connection. The other would be to just run a wire from the bottom lead of the 100K resistor to the right of the damaged eyelet to the #7 lug of the footswitch. Either will work.

When it comes to removing excess solder, one or the other of these two tools are the thing to use to avoid damage like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TBBSC-Desolderin ... B08XQF9WYV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9VLA2/

Also, if you need to post additional pics in the future, please crop out the background and keep the subject matter the major part of the photo (see below). Just makes it easier to view, especially when the image is very large.

Attachment:
BKS_photo_crop.jpg
BKS_photo_crop.jpg [ 662.65 KiB | Viewed 1131 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:43 pm 

Thank you for the advice! Good to know I have options in case I broke the connection to the trace. I definitely need to get myself some of the desoldering braid, I feel like I will likely be using it...

Will keep that in mind for the images in the future.

Appreciate the quick reply!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:50 pm 

Quote:
Also now that I am looking, some of those joints don't look like they have much solder, am I adding enough?

Most of them look pretty good; I suspect that, because you ask, you are concerned about a few that don't have the full "Hershey's Kiss" look on the solder side--yes, perhaps those could use a bit more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:09 pm 

WMP1 wrote:
Quote:

Most of them look pretty good; I suspect that, because you ask, you are concerned about a few that don't have the full "Hershey's Kiss" look on the solder side--yes, perhaps those could use a bit more.

Recommended reading:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Luckily, this PCB has a secondary #7 eyelet intended for a header socket, but you can just connect to that instead as Duhvoodooman suggested. You might need to use a thinner gauge wire though or a bare solid jumper. You could clip the leg off a spare resistor.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:11 pm 

Sounds great, thanks for the quality advice, and reference to helpful threads. Super useful!