Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lil Reverb Low Volume...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:08 pm 

Has anyone built a Lil Reverb and had any issue with a cut in output volume? I Don't know what or why, just curious if anyone had this issue?... Maybe there's a value that's off affecting the output? SMH...
Wait. Holy Crap! Did I just figure it out? I went back to try to grab a schematic to post and see that there are 2 versions of instructions available. Now it's weird as my PCB says REV1.1, but the available downloads are listed as CLICK HERE FOR PDF, and CLICK HERE FOR REV1.0, and nothing about my Rev1.1 . And it seems both versions available to download have the same schematic, both having a 470 ohm resistor that is only called for in the Rev1.0. The old version had a 1k there, and it is the last resistor before the cap before the output. Mine has a 1k there. I have to swap out that 1k and see if there's a boost in vol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:16 am 

Changing that R12 resistor to 470R would seem to be a logical thing to try.

I've alerted Keith to the discrepancy between the resistors in the parts list vs. what's shown on the schematic and the PCB diagrams. At the very least, the schematic and PCB resistor placement diagram on page 9 of the v.1.1 instructions should show the correct resistor values.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:43 am 

Hello sir. Thanks. I emailed Keith as well. I have REV1v1, whatever that is, and there are more parts discrepancies than just a 470ohm and a couple of 6k8's where a 1k is now. Caps are all different, resistors are different. I have a 33k where a 10k is now. The R470ohm I put in R12 did not remedy. I started to swap out the 6.8k's for a 1k and didn't help, in fact, that added a swooshing sound when turned ON. So I stopped and hope someone has the hot tip. I was about to strip the pcb and just do what the pics show in the build doc, but don't know what to trust. THANKS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm really confused here. You should stop swapping parts till I figure out what's going on.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

As best I can tell, the pdf file for the build instructions reverted back to a previous version. The BOM and schematic inside the build instructions are not correct.

The ala cart schematic found here is correct (even though it says rev1.0) http://byocelectronics.com/lilreverbschematic.pdf and the print on the Rev1.1 PCB are correct. So if you followed the component values printed on the PCB, then your volume drop issue should not be related to this mix up.

You should approach it like typical tech support issue. Post pics. Post voltages. If you have a signal tester, trace out your dry signal and worry about getting that working correctly before worrying about the wet signal. And most importantly, don't swap parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:07 am 

Hi Keith, thank for being here as well as our email. The more I read it doesn't make it make more sense to me... The ala cart schematic can't be correct AND the values marked on my 1v1 pcb be correct when they are showing different values. For example, my 1v1 pcb is showing 33k resistor value right above the 4558 IC (R8) where the schematic has 10K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:29 am 

Again, thanks to all. If anyone needs, I did find the 1v1 build docs out in the pedal world from another dealer selling BYOC kits... And here's the attachment... Nope, the extension pdf is not allowed. Alright... Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 am 

RobertJay wrote:
Hi Keith, thank for being here as well as our email. The more I read it doesn't make it make more sense to me... The ala cart schematic can't be correct AND the values marked on my 1v1 pcb be correct when they are showing different values. For example, my 1v1 pcb is showing 33k resistor value right above the 4558 IC (R8) where the schematic has 10K.

Now I'm confused. The "a la carte" schematic (i.e. a stand-alone document, NOT part of the instructions) that Keith referred to is this one: http://byocelectronics.com/lilreverbschematic.pdf

I've downloaded it, converted it to a JPG, and posted it as an attachment below. It most definitely shows R8 as 33K, not 10K. I've also posted a copy to the "BBD Effects, Delay & Reverb PCB Layouts" thread in this sub-forum, about 3/4 of the way down in this link: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39391&p=338843&sid=90f07317194e8e8f7bc5c6bcb1bb4767&sid=189e5f77a01b2fe7df16517e47c48725#p338843. I've labeled it as "Rev. 1.1" to correlate with the PCB revision.

In any case, I would echo Keith's suggestion that you follow the typical steps we recommend for troubleshooting a malfunctioning pedal after replacing the original value components on the PCB. I would also add that you may wish to work through THIS PROCEDURE, since weak output volume is very commonly caused by a poor solder joint somewhere in the build.

Attachment:
L'il Reverb v.1.1 Schemo.jpg
L'il Reverb v.1.1 Schemo.jpg [ 98.85 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm guessing there must have been another FTP roll back on our server. And we lost the updated files when we scrubbed Nick's computer. So it's going to be a little bit before I get the website updated.

Try not overthink this, Robert. The screen printing on the rev1.1 PCB is correct. You're an experienced enough builder that you don't need the instructions to tell you where to put resistors and capacitors. You only need the instructions for the wiring diagram (which you probably don't really need either), and that part is correct regardless of which version you have. The schematic Bob just posted is correct. The problem you're experiencing isn't something that's systemically linked to the instruction file mix up.

It's possible that there is a manufacturing defect in that particular PCB, but a lot of people have build this kit, from this batch of PCBs, without any problems, so it's not likely that there is any systemic problem. My best suggestion to you at this point would be to post voltages for the op amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:42 pm 

byoc wrote:
I'm guessing there must have been another FTP roll back on our server.

Could also be an older version of the file in Robert's browser cache? I think that if the cached version and the new one have the same file name, the browser may reload the cached one rather than downloading the new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

duhvoodooman wrote:
byoc wrote:
I'm guessing there must have been another FTP roll back on our server.

Could also be an older version of the file in Robert's browser cache? I think that if the cached version and the new one have the same file name, the browser may reload the cached one rather than downloading the new one.

Maybe. But that file name was supposedly replaced and deleted in 2017. Since Yahoo was bought out by Turbify, a lot of weird stuff has been going on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:07 pm 

byoc wrote:
Since Yahoo was bought out by Turbify, a lot of weird stuff has been going on.

Maybe they should change the "b" to a "d?" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

duhvoodooman wrote:
byoc wrote:
Since Yahoo was bought out by Turbify, a lot of weird stuff has been going on.

Maybe they should change the "b" to a "d?" :lol:

LOL That would be much more fitting.