Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:10 pm 

As the title says... I'm getting a single slapback in echo mode, and NO delay in ping pong mode. I tried using an audio probe in echo mode, and here's what I get:

Point 8 - single slapback
Points 9 and 10 - very quiet single slapback
Points 11-14 - nothing

Hope these pics help...

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am 

Hey there DOD - Try testing continuity between brown points 12 - 11, 12 - 10, and 12 - 9. Also, test your toggle switch and make sure none of the poles are grounded and the poles make contact as they should.

A lot of times, getting only that one repeat is a sign of a short to ground somewhere, so look for that (backs of pots touching pcb, toggle grounding to something). Getting no delay in ping pong might point to a fried toggle switch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:53 pm 

I do get continuity between all those points, and the switch seems to be contacting as it should. None of the poles read to ground either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:44 am 

Okay - how about voltages? Any weirdness there? Also, try swapping the delay chips or trying them one at a time to see if you isolate part of the circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am 

Have you audio probed the entire feedback path, for both modes? I'd be interested to know where the feedback stops on the pong side in parallel mode.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 pm 

Ohhhh... I actually have this backwards... I'm getting a single slapback in PONG mode (switch up) and nothing in echo mode (switch down). I tried swapping the chips, and it made no difference... I still get one repeat, and only the ping knob effects the time.

I will check the voltages tonight or over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:46 pm 

OK... some clues...

All my voltages and grounds are OK.

On the dry signal path, I have signal up to point 31, and then nothing at point 32. That 10K resistor is bad??

On wet signal path A, I have signal up to point 14, and then point 15 gets VERY quiet.

I tested each resistor with a meter before putting it in because I am colorblind... but can somebody check those 2 10K's in my pics, just in case I screwed up?!

I haven't checked wet signal path B yet... I'll try it after I straighten out these 2 problems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:42 am 

DIYorDIE wrote:
On the dry signal path, I have signal up to point 31, and then nothing at point 32. That 10K resistor is bad??

Yes - or it has a cold joint. I tested my pedal and I get very strong dry signal on both sides of R24.

DIYorDIE wrote:
On wet signal path A, I have signal up to point 14, and then point 15 gets VERY quiet.

That seems okay, I get something similar. The signal does get weaker after that resistor. You might touch up the joint to make sure it is conducting fully.

DIYorDIE wrote:
I tested each resistor with a meter before putting it in because I am colorblind... but can somebody check those 2 10K's in my pics, just in case I screwed up?!

They look fine. That whole row of resistors are all 10k and all yours seem to match that.

DIYorDIE wrote:
I haven't checked wet signal path B yet... I'll try it after I straighten out these 2 problems.

While you're in there, make sure and follow all of the trouble shooting instructions - you never know when something weird will pop up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 pm 

Morgan wrote:
DIYorDIE wrote:

Yes - or it has a cold joint.

Thanks Morgan... that's exactly what it was. I re-flowed the joint, and life is good!

I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't find that myself. However, I am proud to say that this is the first pedal I've ever built that didn't work first-shot. Even my VB-2 fired right up, and that was the most complex build I had done... until THIS one!

Thank you, again, for your help! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:07 pm 

NO!!!!!!! It was TOTALLY working, then I put it back into the enclosure and it's doing the SAME THING again! :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:40 am 

No!! :x
It's a short. Something is grounding out on the enclosure. I'd pull it out of the enclosure one more time to verify that it works fine outside. If it goes back to not working properly when in the enclosure, that means something is either touching the enclosure that shouldn't be, or something is getting bent or tweaked when you tighten things down. See if you can make it happen when the circuit is out of the enclosure by poking and prodding.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:24 am 

OK... here's the deal... it didn't work outside the enclosure, then I re-flowed that joint and it started working. I checked both the echo and pong modes, and everything was working great.

Put it back together, and it stopped working again. I took it back out of the enclosure and it still doesn't work... signal dies at R24 again. Tried poking and pushing some components... no difference.

I re-flowed as many of the joints as I could (can't get to some because of the pots). Still not working (outside of the enclosure).

Now the damn battery died on my meter. I have to get away from this thing for a while or I'm gonna throw it! I'll get a new battery and take another look at it tonight. I'll go through the entire troubleshooting section of the instructions, and post the results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:42 am 

Sounds good. Remember that this circuit is very sensitive to power - try to test it using a 9 volt adapter whenever possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:06 pm 

FRUSTRATING! mINE IS BEHAVING THE SAME WAY!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am 

I had the exact same problem.

Coincidentally when I re-flowed point 32 it started working flawlessly. I have yet to put it back in its enclosure so I'm a bit worried :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 pm 

I need a pcb for the dd-80. I have all the parts but the board. Someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :|

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 am 

guitargod wrote:
I need a pcb for the dd-80. I have all the parts but the board. Someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :|

The DD-80 has been gone for quite a while. The Ping Pong is basically 2 DD-80 circuits in series/parallel, but I think you have to buy a kit to get the board these days. You might try posting a want to buy thread in the for sale forum. Also, you can get a Rebote 2.0 or 2.5 from Tonepad which are both similar to the DD-80.