Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 am 

I have a digital delay kit that I'm having trouble with. I have it wired for 18V operation. I only have a DMM, no signal tester. I've done all the continuity, ground, and power tests as noted in the manual and they all check out ok, I had one bad ground that I was able to reheat and fix.

When I turn the effect on I have no output at all. Bypass works fine. I've checked the input wiring about a hundred times and it all looks good.

Is there a way to use the DMM to check for signal? I can read very small AC voltages with it, it will pick up a voltage reading from the output of my guitar. Will this suffice or will I need to purchase the signal tester?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 am 

You have an issue in the dry signal path. Please post DC voltages from each pin of the TL0 chip. Also, pics would be good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:07 pm 

Wow, its been awhile since I've worked on his peddle. But I finally have a little extra time to do so. Alright so voltages on the op-amp pins (all DC volts):
1: 1.6
2: 1.6
3: 1.8
4: 0
5: 5.9
6: 6.2
7: 9.0
8: 12.6

Attachments:
DSC02088.JPG
DSC02088.JPG [ 111.67 KiB | Viewed 10021 times ]
DSC02087.JPG
DSC02087.JPG [ 86.72 KiB | Viewed 10021 times ]
DSC02086.JPG
DSC02086.JPG [ 231.3 KiB | Viewed 10021 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm 

It looks like you have done a nice job painting the enclosure! The thing is, the paint insulates the jacks' ground to the enclosure - you need to scrape the inside of the jack holes so that there is bare metal touching the jacks. Might not be your entire problem, but I would start there...

*EDIT*

As I look at your photos more closely, I also see solder joints that are starved of solder. You might want to go over those again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 pm 

Yes, go back over your solder joints and make sure you solder iron tip is clean, shiny, and hot. When you are done, clean the bottom of the pcb with an old toothbrush and some alcohol. Remove all the chips from their sockets before you do this.

When you are done with that, only install the TL072 chip, leave the delay chips out. Your main problem is in the dry signal and it's best to mess with things without the delay chips installed. Your voltages are off; it looks like a bad solder joint or two. Pins 4-6 look okay, pin 7 is too high and pins 1-3 are too low.