Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Theory of Operation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:19 pm 

I put this chorus kit together for my final project in my introduction to EE course. The requirement for the theory of operation section of the written report goes like this: "In this section, you are expected to briefly discuss the theory behind your project's operation. Since this is an introductory course, you are not expected to go in to great detail, but you should take the time to study your project to the extent that you are able to understand and convey in your report the fundamental mechanics of its operation." Could somebody help me out?

Post subject: Re: Theory of Operation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

marshmallow wrote:
I put this chorus kit together for my final project in my introduction to EE course. The requirement for the theory of operation section of the written report goes like this: "In this section, you are expected to briefly discuss the theory behind your project's operation. Since this is an introductory course, you are not expected to go in to great detail, but you should take the time to study your project to the extent that you are able to understand and convey in your report the fundamental mechanics of its operation." Could somebody help me out?

Do you want the broad strokes, like the signal is split at the input buffer. One split goes straight to the output buffer. The other split goes to a bucket brigade delay where its pitch is modulated. The frequency and depth of the pitch modulation(vibrato) from the BBD are controlled by the LFO. This pitch modulated signal and the dry signal are mixed back together at the output buffer.

Or do you need to go into detail as to why varying the delay time of the BBD caused pitch modulation, how the LFO works, ect?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm 

That is a great start, but I do think that I need to get in to the details about the BBD and LFO, etc. Thanks a whole lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:48 pm 

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:52 pm 

What is the LFO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 pm 

LFO stands for low-frequency oscillator. It's the part of the circuit that creates the modulation for the chorus effect. The frequency this part of the circuit creates has to be relatively low to be audible to human ears as modulation (chorus, flange, delay etc.)

Here's a wikipedia article on the subject: LFO Link