Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Did I Blow a Pot?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:22 pm 

I think I blew a pot! Is that normal?
The delay pedal was working great, but then when I was testing it again, the delay (25k) pot was making kinda scratchy noises when I was during it up and down, then it cut out. I hit the bypass, waited a few seconds, then it was working again, but only for a moment or two because it was still scratchy, then it cut out for good.

I re-soldered the joints to the pot, and on the board, with new wires, but still nothing. The LED still lights up and it's not muting the guitar or anything, just won't do anything. Does it mean the pot is done? Or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:19 am 

Its possible your pot is no good. Happened to me before. Not on BYOC kits, but ... go to pedal parts plus for replacements.
http://pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant. ... Code=Pot16

they have them for like $1.25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:00 am 

Scratchy pots can also be a case of DC voltage getting into the pot due to a faulty filter cap. The fact that it cut-out and then "came back to life" makes me think the pot is fine. Pots are generally fairly bulletproff - although there are exceptions - but what usually makes them not work is that the lead that runs between the two outer lugs burns up or gets a break in it. It doesn't work, ever, after that. If you have a DMM, you can easily test the pot to see if it's working.

Take a close look at the larger electrolytic caps - C3, C5, C21, and C22 for any bubbles, scorching, or broken leads. Also take a look for anything touching the enclosure that shouldn't be(bare wires, expopsed leads, etc...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:36 pm 

This might be happening to me too. I replaced the 25K with a 50K, and now it's all scratchy when it actually wants to work, but it's mostly dead, or it cuts in and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm 

I got it to work again. I cut down my leads as much as I could so there wouldn't be a short with the pots, then used a flux remover spray, then alcohol, to clean the pcb board and my connections and it worked just fine. I did hear some scratching again briefly, but I think it's because my battery was on the carpet.

Thanks for the help