Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: PinG pOnG HeADachE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

also keep in mind that the 100ohm resistor isn't necessarily the problem. It could be a short anywhere after it.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 am 

With the jumper and the pt2399s in place I get readings of 8.7v at all red points after the diode. Vout of the regulator reads at 4.9v, as do the power pins of the pt2399s.

But, adding the jumper kills the output. Dry and wet. Stranger yet, removing the pt2399s from the circuit will restore the dry output, at full volume and without any loss in tone (without any significant change in the voltage readings).

Honestly, I'm not too concerned by the voltage readings right now, it looks like several people are having the same problem but not having the volume issue I am. (I think the voltage issues are why people have reported weird oscillation and tone problems). I'm thinking I've got an issue somewhere around r5 and r6 where the signals get mixed back together. In my head, a short there would maybe explain the signal loss and the repeat problem I'm having.

Like I said, it's all Morgan's fault. I've never forgiven him for that time we were in the peace corps together and he got us kicked out of the Bosnian embassy after drinking all the tequila and hitting on Tipper Gore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

SugarBear wrote:
With the jumper and the pt2399s in place I get readings of 8.7v at all red points after the diode. Vout of the regulator reads at 4.9v, as do the power pins of the pt2399s.

But, adding the jumper kills the output. Dry and wet. Stranger yet, removing the pt2399s from the circuit will restore the dry output, at full volume and without any loss in tone (without any significant change in the voltage readings).

Honestly, I'm not too concerned by the voltage readings right now, it looks like several people are having the same problem but not having the volume issue I am. (I think the voltage issues are why people have reported weird oscillation and tone problems). I'm thinking I've got an issue somewhere around r5 and r6 where the signals get mixed back together. In my head, a short there would maybe explain the signal loss and the repeat problem I'm having.

Like I said, it's all Morgan's fault. I've never forgiven him for that time we were in the peace corps together and he got us kicked out of the Bosnian embassy after drinking all the tequila and hitting on Tipper Gore

Yeah....It sounds like your problem is in the signal path somewhere. Could be where it mixes back together, but I would think it's more likely where it splits at Blue 11 - 15 and Blue 29 - 38. This would include the toggle switch as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 pm 

hmmm...

Well, it's half-fixed. Sorta.

With r33 jumpered and c3 replaced and no pt2399 chips I get a perfectly fine dry signal.

Adding one chip, PONG, gives me a nice delay in parallel mode. No volume loss, no tone loss. Sounds good. (in long mode it just makes noise, which makes sense with PING missing)

Adding the PING chip completely kills the sound, regardless of whether PONG is in or not.

Progress...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:06 am 

Is it just one chip affecting this, or is it the chip position?

Quote:
Adding the PING chip completely kills the sound, regardless of whether PONG is in or not.

Does it matter which chip is in which slot?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am 

No, I've tried both. They are both good chips, I've tried them in the old delay with success. It's the PING position.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Admin

SugarBear wrote:
hmmm...

Well, it's half-fixed. Sorta.

With r33 jumpered and c3 replaced and no pt2399 chips I get a perfectly fine dry signal.

Adding one chip, PONG, gives me a nice delay in parallel mode. No volume loss, no tone loss. Sounds good. (in long mode it just makes noise, which makes sense with PING missing)

Progress...

Yes. This is progress. Let me ponder this and stare at the schematic for a minute to come up with a theory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:30 pm 

byoc wrote:

Yes. This is progress. Let me ponder this and stare at the schematic for a minute to come up with a theory.

Your minute was up a few hours ago. :mrgreen:

GF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am 
Site Admin

gonzofonts wrote:
byoc wrote:

Your minute was up a few hours ago. :mrgreen:

GF

I never said when my minute would start.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:56 pm 

Well, I finally got back around to looking at this...spent a few hours with it this afternoon. Still can't figure it out. All my solder joints look good...retouched anyway. No visible solder bridges, all components seem to be good....just can't figure it out. Voltages are reading fine and digging around with an audio probe shows me that I'm loosing signal at the dual opamp with PING, but works fine without it. I've made some fatal error somewhere...

Oh well, I'm taking some aspirin I'm putting this into my "Box of Forgotten Builds" for now to make room on my bench.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:42 am 

SugarBear wrote:
Well, I finally got back around to looking at this...spent a few hours with it this afternoon. Still can't figure it out. All my solder joints look good...retouched anyway. No visible solder bridges, all components seem to be good....just can't figure it out. Voltages are reading fine and digging around with an audio probe shows me that I'm loosing signal at the dual opamp with PING, but works fine without it. I've made some fatal error somewhere...

Oh well, I'm taking some aspirin I'm putting this into my "Box of Forgotten Builds" for now to make room on my bench.

Sending mucho-mojo to aid your quest for a solution. Is the ping socket damaged/shorting? (That wouldn't be anyone's fault, not even Morgan, or any prudish, tea-totaling, Bosnian Diplomat.) You mentioned previously that the PT2399s are both functional in the pong socket, and I get the impression the effect is working with just one PT2399 in place.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:46 am 

I think that most things that go wrong are Morgan's fault...regardless of whether or not they actually are his fault.

I thought about the socket. There doesn't appear to any issues there. The contacts themselves seem to be in good shape...springy and shiny. Not to mention it works fine with the 100ohm in place...just really dark and half the volume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

1. Pull C31, C11, and C33. Pull the toggle switch.

2. Jumper only the SWC portion of the toggle switch on the PCB so that it is in echo mode.

3. Move the negative end of C21 to the solder pad where the negative end of C31 used to be.

Your pedal should now a normal single chip delay pedal with the "ping" chip doing the work and should be easier to trouble shoot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:57 pm 

Thanks Keith. I actually had that in my head to try, but couldn't quite wrap my head around where on the pcb to work on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:07 pm 

Hey Chief - Did you ever get this working? Or is it still in the land of misfit pedals?

I'm betting you've given up - just like that time we tried to convince the east Sierra Leone Juju Police that monkeys could fly using that hidden potato gun we stole from Keith. I told you those monkeys would never learn sign language - you gotta use bananas. :wink:

You've go too many posts to be confounded by a simple double tap delay pedal. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:35 pm 

Morgan wrote:
Hey Chief - Did you ever get this working? Or is it still in the land of misfit pedals?

I'm betting you've given up - just like that time we tried to convince the east Sierra Leone Juju Police that monkeys could fly using that hidden potato gun we stole from Keith. I told you those monkeys would never learn sign language - you gotta use bananas. :wink:

You've go too many posts to be confounded by a simple double tap delay pedal. :shock:

I got that one monkey to fly. Somewhat. Then he jumped off that building. Poor Kinko. Fell like a rock. He could change his own diaper, but he couldn't flap his arms hard enough.

I haven't even looked at that build since putting it in the vortex to hell. I've been having a hard run of luck on my personal builds lately. Everything I make for someone else comes out fine. Everything I make for me refuses to work correctly. It's in there with a boost, chorus, and trem. I rehoused my EQ yesterday, which has always worked great, put it in the new enclosure and bam, no sound...I'm about to go back in. Been working on "Keith's special wah" too, trying to iron out some of the kinks. I'm about to throw that in an enclosure which I finished yesterday...watch it not work either.

I'm not bitter or anything...