Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:08 pm 

I have a small clone reissue and I find the Chorus is not intense enough at the lower depth switch settings. I think there's just too much bass from the dry mix too allow the chorus effect to "stand out". I've already ordered the parts to add a depth knob, but I would like to tweak to achieve a brighter chorus/less bassy sound when engaged. Where should I start?

I belive the 20k resisister is the wet/dry mix. What should I try for a little more "wet" mix - 18k?

Also wondering what the 100pf cap (as used in the analogman clone) would do as opposed to the 150pf that comes stock. Would that increase or decrease the intensity of the chorus?

Thanks,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 am 

Rick1114 wrote:
I have a small clone reissue and I find the Chorus is not intense enough at the lower depth switch settings. I think there's just too much bass from the dry mix too allow the chorus effect to "stand out". I've already ordered the parts to add a depth knob, but I would like to tweak to achieve a brighter chorus/less bassy sound when engaged. Where should I start?

You could always lower the input cap (c1) to cut lows. This will cut lows on both direct and chorus lines. You can also add a coupling cap on the direct line. This line is apparently missing from the schematic in the sticky, but goes through the 22k resistor, which is r22 on the board (perhaps you can replace r22 with a resistor and cap in series?). You have to play with the value of the cap until you get the sound you like. Note that I have not tried this myself, I'm only giving you my ideas on where to start.

Rick1114 wrote:
I belive the 20k resisister is the wet/dry mix. What should I try for a little more "wet" mix - 18k?

The signal is mixed through a 22k resistor (r22, missing in the schematic) and a 20k resistor (r24) which together go into a 10k resistor (r26). For more chorus signal into the mix, you can lower r24. However, this may increase overal volume, so you might want to increase r26 ... Perhaps it is easier to socket these 3 resistors and play with them unitl you're happy. I am currently building a Small Clone and am thinking about using three trimmers to get the mix and volume perfect to my liking. Also look at the build reports on Tonepad for info on a mix mod.

Rick1114 wrote:
Also wondering what the 100pf cap (as used in the analogman clone) would do as opposed to the 150pf that comes stock. Would that increase or decrease the intensity of the chorus?

Also: look at the tonepad file and the build reports. 100pF would, if I remember correctly, lead to lower intensity. For a wilder (more pitch shifter like) sound, you should try a higher value.

Of course: the search function on this board may also provide some more info :wink: .