Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:58 pm 

Hi there,

After having just completed the "Up/Down Mod", I do not hear any audible difference between the two modes. The effect has the same upsweep that you normally get but you cannot get the downsweep. I have triple checked my wiring and have scoured the forum to no avail. Here are some photos in case I may have made a mistake:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/a ... 060200.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/a ... 060205.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/a ... 060207.jpg

Is this simply how the mod sounds like? Is it barely audible, if at all? Has anybody else had similar experiences? Was I expecting too much by thinking I would get the downsweep of a Mu-tron III?

Thanks!

Up/Down mod post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4261

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm 

I was going to try this mod, but then the 3 knob came out, and I kind of forgot about trying this one. However, from the thread you have a link to, there is this observation from Edward:
Quote:
I tried the mod.
Subtle is a bit of an understatement. I can't hear a difference.
Has anyone did this mod and found it usefull and audible?

Also this comment from Muad'zin:
Quote:
Found an old switch laying about and tried the mod. It seems to be a subtle difference, not enough to warrant retiring my Korg A3. Then again the DOD 440 was a subtle pedal to begin with. Still a keeper though.

However, after looking at your pics, the switch wiring looks a bit different than the diagram...but I seen what you have done, so while it looks different, I believe you do have it wired correctly...So at this point, I think it may just be different than what you were expecting based on the observations that others have posted?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 am 

Thanks Jack.

The BYOC Envelope Filter is really cool and I love how you can get that smooth "wow" decay that comes from the opto-coupler (I think?). Upon trying the up/down mod I can't hear any difference. I guess I was hoping that other peoples experiences would be different to mine.

Now I think I will order a Wah Enclosure/Kit, 5 Knob Compressor, Mouse, Tonebender Mk.II and another Tube Screamer.

The quest continues!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm 

was this mod ever determined to be audible?
and therefore worth doing? :lol:

switching the leads in my crybaby wah pot resulted in a reverse sweep, a pretty crappy one but definately audible. this seems to work on the same principle. if i remember correctly, the connection that stayed the same on the pot was the one to ground. but when i look at where the optocoupler goes on my 440 PCB, none of the traces look like they lead to ground.
does that make a difference? does the optocoupler work on the same mechanical principles as a pot, with the routing of signals and such?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:45 am 

It seems as if the 3 people who tried it say that it is not a very noticeable effect...but if you got an idea to try that you think might work, its worth a shot.

Here's a link on octocouplers and how they work:
http://www.electronics-related.com/usen ... 6534-1.php

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:36 am 

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but that diagram doesn't change the circuit at all. The optocoupler doesn't work like a typical potentiometer, where the resistance from the middle lug to the outside lugs has an inverse relationship. In a potentiometer, if the resistance between lug 2 & lug 1 goes down, the resistance between lug 2 & lug 3 must go up. However, the optocoupler is not a potentiometer. When triggered, the resistance on BOTH sides goes down at the same time, so reversing the legs will do absolutely nothing to the circuit. There may be some slight, possibly perceivable differences because of tolerances between the two LDRs inside, but I don't think anyone will be able to hear the difference.

I hope that made sense. I'm surprised no one had pointed this out a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 am 

VonRutter wrote:
I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but that diagram doesn't change the circuit at all. The optocoupler doesn't work like a typical potentiometer, where the resistance from the middle lug to the outside lugs has an inverse relationship. In a potentiometer, if the resistance between lug 2 & lug 1 goes down, the resistance between lug 2 & lug 3 must go up. However, the optocoupler is not a potentiometer. When triggered, the resistance on BOTH sides goes down at the same time, so reversing the legs will do absolutely nothing to the circuit. There may be some slight, possibly perceivable differences because of tolerances between the two LDRs inside, but I don't think anyone will be able to hear the difference.

I hope that made sense. I'm surprised no one had pointed this out a long time ago.

Heh... well at least no one was saying they heard a huge difference. That'd be kind of embarassing :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:54 pm 

jack wrote:
It seems as if the 3 people who tried it say that it is not a very noticeable effect...but if you got an idea to try that you think might work, its worth a shot.

Here's a link on octocouplers and how they work:
http://www.electronics-related.com/usen ... 6534-1.php

Its been mentioned about a year ago that those who did it say its not very, if at all noticeable... :lol: