Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:10 pm 

Hi,

Thinking of buying/building the kit for a Lazy Sprocket, however I was wondering if anyone knew:

1. ...of any mods to make it more bass-friendly? I haven't checked the schematic, but I'm sure raising the in/out caps would be a start, but if anyone knows of anything else, that would be awesome.

2. ...if it would benefit from adding a clean boost to the circuit. I've read about volume drop with this pedal, although I'm not sure how severe it is.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 pm 

It's not bass un-friendly, really. I've tried it with my five string and as I recall it sounded pretty good! if you can wit a day or two, Ill post a small audio demo.

There is no volume-drop issue. If it's been reported, then it was probably a build issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm 

Thanks -- I'd definitely be interested in hearing a demo.

And even better if there's no volume drop... I'm mid-way through mapping out the wiring/housing for a combo Confidence Boost (w/vol pot) + Lazy Sprocket. But if it's not needed, then cool, I can just go with the stock kit.

edit: Also, I did notice in the build instructions a mention of adjusting the LS' trim-pot until you get the volume swells w/no volume loss, so perhaps that's where folks are running into issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 pm 

Quote:
edit: Also, I did notice in the build instructions a mention of adjusting the LS' trim-pot until you get the volume swells w/no volume loss, so perhaps that's where folks are running into issues.

Yeah, that's a pretty good guess. The pedal does take some set up and some technique, and I think some people never actually get the hang of it it. Even if they do, they kind go "meh" and are disappointed. It is subtle in some ways, but it is one of my favorite things. It is ALWAYS on my pedal board!

I'll try to get to that demo soon; earthquakes and holidays intervened this weekend :/ If anything, tou may have to fiddle with the input and/or output caps so I would recommend that you socket those for a quick swap. You're going to socket the tantalum cap anyway, right? Most people do...