Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:47 pm 

I have a Filter that works well with humbuckers, but seems not to work as well with a set of vintage type single coils. Is there a resistor mod to increase the input sensitivity so I can get more quack? I did a mod to a DOD 440 by replacing a resistor with a trimpot, but I can't seem to translate it to the BYOC kit.

Thanks for any ideas....

John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:22 am 
Unfortunately the circuit diagram that is included in the Envelope Filter instructions is not well labelled, which makes it a bit difficult to describe changes.

However the Sensitivity pot, an anti-log 250K connects via a 0.1uF and 1K resistor to the inverting input of an op-amp which has a 1M feedback resistor. This is the pre-amp for the rectifier / envelope follower section of the circuit. It already has a maximum gain of 1,000 so boosting it further is pushing things a bit. You could try reducing the 1K to a 470R.

I find on my build that although the Sensitivity pot interacts with the Attack pot a little (with short attacks the sensitivity does not need to be turned up as far) that I rarely turn the control below 12 o'clock with any guitar.

While you are at it, if you use the Manual pot at all and have not already modded it you might find this link to a previous thread useful - http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34270