Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:30 am 

Greetings

I'm hoping one of the gurus here can assist with a suggestion for some trouble I'm having with a Lazy Sprocket build. This is my first pedal kit build after starting out wiring my board.

After wiring everything up but before mounting the board to the pins and screwing on the enclosure back, I tested the pedal out and all seemed to work great. After closing everything up, I tried testing again and started getting a distorted sound that cut in and out. The LED was lighting up with the attack / sensitivity knobs effecting the sound, though overall it was quite obviously encountering an issue of some kind. Guitar signal came through just fine with the effect disengaged.

After reopening and taking a look at the wiring again a day later, I re-tested. Now the LED doesn't light up and I get no sound at all with the effect engaged. Bypassed signal still comes through fine when disengaged.

I've looked up other Sprocket issues from some users in the forum though couldn't find a firm solution matching my issues. Most folks have said that the soldering is likely the culprit on the other examples I saw. That then was my first though so I resoldered some of the connections to the switch pins and any places where I had two wirings connecting to the same spot as those solder jobs weren't super clean. After checking through everything again and making sure that all connections are going to the right places, I'm still at a loss.

The fact that the effect worked well for the first couple of minutes makes me think some connection or component got shorted or something. Hearing the distorted signal coming out and then the fact that the LED is now not lighting up at all makes me think that perhaps the board is potentially not getting fed power properly (though the positive lead looks to be soldered in fully).

Anything in the photos below jump out as a potential cause?

Note: Images are showing BEFORE my second soldering fixes (will post current and better versions within the next day including the bottom side of the PCB). Unfortunately the kit shipped with only purple wire which obviously makes it harder to trace the paths so I'll try to get some better shots of the switch and jack connections for reference as well.

Appreciate any help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 am 

Please post a photo or two of the back (solder side) of the board.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 pm 

Here are some additional images of the build. Appreciate any assistance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:18 am 

Do you have a DMM ? Are you getting power at the DC input?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 pm 

Yes it does seem to be getting a positive read on power coming from the jack as well as at the PCB 9v connection.