Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:39 pm 

Hi there,

This is my first time posting, and I know it's a lame post. I can't seem to figure out why my fixed wah pedal won't turn on. I'm not sure how to go about trouble shooting. Looks like all my connections are solid, but the l.e.d. isn't turning on and the pedal seems to only work in bypass. when the effect is switched on there is no sound.

Here is a picture of the board.

Let me know if there's anything I can do, and thanks in advance for all the support.

Attachments:
IMAG0157small.jpg
IMAG0157small.jpg [ 265.41 KiB | Viewed 4866 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:39 pm 

Using your DMM, make sure you are getting voltage readings at the dc input jack. Next you want to take reading at each of your ICs and transistors. We need to see pictures of your soldering as well. Normally if you go back and reflow all of your solder joints, that fixes the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:58 pm 

I see that you're powering with an AC/DC adapter. Check to make sure that THIS isn't your problem.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:35 pm 

Thanks so much for the speedy replies. Somehow it is turning on with a battery even tho that didn't work when i first finished the pedal. I think maybe because I added more solder to the wiring from the board to the switch? I also added more solder to one of the pots and to the DC wiring because the dc input is still not working. Anyways, here's another pictures if anyone has ideas.

Attachments:
IMAG0160(1).jpg
IMAG0160(1).jpg [ 639.98 KiB | Viewed 4837 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 pm 

If it works from the battery, but not the dc plug, check your wiring and check your power supply to make sure you have it set t tip negative.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:41 pm 

Yeah wiring is fine and I'm getting a voltage reading there. Also, this pedal seems to cut my signal drastically. It seems to be cutting off my signal entirely when the filter is sweeping to the lows and my signal in general is only maybe half as loud as my signal when the pedal is bypassed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:06 am 

Some of these symptoms point to a poor solder joint somewhere, which seems somewhat likely from your photos as well. I'd recommend reflowing all the solder joints on this board. Just get your iron hot and touch each joint for a couple seconds until it melts, and then let it freeze up again. If there isn't enough solder on a joint to make a nice little cone around the component lead, add a bit more.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:19 am 

sjaustin wrote:
Some of these symptoms point to a poor solder joint somewhere, which seems somewhat likely from your photos as well. I'd recommend reflowing all the solder joints on this board. Just get your iron hot and touch each joint for a couple seconds until it melts, and then let it freeze up again. If there isn't enough solder on a joint to make a nice little cone around the component lead, add a bit more.

^ This. Check out THIS POST for related info. I'd also recommend trimming your excess component leads and wire ends down to the tops of their respective solder joints while you're at it.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2