Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 pm 

Hello everybody! New to the forum.

The Lazy Sprocket is my second build. And I know next to nothing about electronics and am a total amateur. Don't even know how to read a schematic!
So please forgive the lack of knowledge and the corresponding level of my questions.

The pedal works, kind of.
The swell is there when the attack knob is turned full CW. But the sensitivity knob has to be around 3-4 o'clock for it to produce a noticeable effect.
And with the swell, there is a hiss/buzz that accompanies it and gets louder and louder until it reaches a peak and cuts the hiss/buzz and the guitar sound out. So the sustain is around 1 second max.

I tried what mmarsh suggested, which is setting the sens knob to 9 o'clock and the attack knob full CW and adjusting the trimpot. But that didn't really work.

Also, when the sensitivity knob is set full CCW, no audio passes through. And when it's full CW, the signal passes through. But there is no swell. Is this what this knob suppose to do?

And one more thing is that when the Attack knob is turned full CCW, there is a clipping sound that goes with every pick of the strings.

Is this because of the exposed wires connecting the pots to the PCB? They're all tinned, by the way.
But I threaded the S3 wire through the bottom side of the PCB and threaded the rest through the topside of the PCB and soldered from the topside because I was getting tired and just wanted to finish it. I know, pretty dumb.

The A1 to A2 holes of the PCB share some rosin core flux.

Would cleaning this or covering the ends of the exposed pot wires with electrical tape help at all?

Sorry for the crap pictures and no shots of the bottom side of the PCB.
Took these with my phone this morning.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
20170417_010714-min.jpg
20170417_010714-min.jpg [ 761.12 KiB | Viewed 4135 times ]
20170417_010506-min.jpg
20170417_010506-min.jpg [ 791.91 KiB | Viewed 4135 times ]
20170416_205343-min.jpg
20170416_205343-min.jpg [ 637.5 KiB | Viewed 4135 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 pm 

Could we also see a photo or two of the solder side of the PCB?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm 

I will try to post a couple pics of the solder side.

But I'm going to try to clip and resolder the wires connecting the pots and pcb.

Do you think I'm having these issues because I threaded and soldered the wires on the same side (topside)?

Starting to think that was a big no-no.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm 

DCHO_FX wrote:
Do you think I'm having these issues because I threaded and soldered the wires on the same side (topside)?

Nah. That is how I solder almost all my joints. I think Veroboard may be the only exception, really. The issue to look out for would be lack of solder, too much solder, stray strands, or bridges if you are worried about your soldering. Hitting your joints from the top of the board shouldn't have any effect on the end product since the boards are double-sided, and as such, has traces through the holes, like a little metal tube. If that makes sense...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 pm 

That makes total sense. Thank you.

I think I have a strayed strand on the tip of the AC jack. I bent it pretty good to get it through.

And not entirely sure if the wire is completely through the S2 slot on the PCB.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm 

So I resoldered the S2 connection to the PCB and cleaned up the flux.
The hiss/buzz is pretty much gone.

And I've been reading other threads where people were having the same sputtering/lack of sustain problem as me.

And some have suggested putting in a compressor before the LS or playing a guitar that doesn't have hot pickups. I was playing an SG with 490 humbuckers. I didn't try the neck humbucker on it. But I seem to get better sustain when I'm playing on the neck pickup of a strat.

I'm really loving this pedal, especially paired with a delay that goes after it.

Just wish I had more control over that sustain, particularly on the higher notes.

I might have too much solder on the lugs of the sens pot.

But I'll probably take it apart later on and re-solder them after I get through 5 other kits I have. Lol