Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 pm 

Interesting!! Haven't ever run into that personally, but then again I've never connected caps to a PCB in that fashion.

What you need is two .022uf (i.e. 22nf or "223") polyester film caps with a 5mm lead spacing. Available from BYOC here: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... -capacitor You may be able to get them at a local electronics supplier, if that's more convenient.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:07 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Interesting!! Haven't ever run into that personally, but then again I've never connected caps to a PCB in that fashion.

What you need is two .022uf (i.e. 22nf or "223") polyester film caps with a 5mm lead spacing. Available from BYOC here: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... -capacitor You may be able to get them at a local electronics supplier, if that's more convenient.
I wasn't able to find polyester film in the right size and value for direct replacement. I was able to find these. Will any of these work just as well?Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am 

The two Mylar "greenies" look fine for this use, and would be my choice over the other two because they are film caps. (The two ceramic types may work just fine, but why not stick to the cap type originally specified?) Hopefully, the lead spacing is the 5mm size used for film caps on BYOC fits (and most other brands, too). Worst case, you might have to bend the leads inward a bit to fit, but that would be an aesthetic issue, not a functional one. The caps do not need to sit flush on the PCB, though they look neater that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm 

so getting back to where we were...

zener diode 5.4 V
lug 2 attack 5.4 V
lug 3 attack 5.4 V
Q5 collector 5.3 V
Q6 collector 5.3 V

passes steps 5, 6, and 7 now (I assume)

but fails at step 8. Q3 base has no swell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:36 pm 

natezaps wrote:
...passes steps 5, 6, and 7 now (I assume)

Assumptions can be dangerous! What exactly are you assuming here?

natezaps wrote:
....but fails at step 8. Q3 base has no swell.

Is this with the Sensitivity and the Attack both all the way up (full CW)?

You should be testing on the higher strings with single notes to hear the swell most clearly. Don't expect the swell to be multiple seconds long; I would guess that it might last 300 - 500 milliseconds with the Attack on full. I find that a bit of overdrive helps accentuate the effect.

You might also want to get a set of voltage readings on Q2 (the JFET) and Q3, to make sure they are properly biased.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:03 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
natezaps wrote:

natezaps wrote:

You should be testing on the higher strings with single notes to hear the swell most clearly. Don't expect the swell to be multiple seconds long; I would guess that it might last 300 - 500 milliseconds with the Attack on full. I find that a bit of overdrive helps accentuate the effect.

You might also want to get a set of voltage readings on Q2 (the JFET) and Q3, to make sure they are properly biased.
I messed something up somewhere. I tried reflowing my joints and now I'm getting lower voltages on the attack knob lug 2 and 3 and Q5 and Q6 collectors. all around 4 V. I'm beyond frustrated with this right now. I feel like I've repeatedly taken a step forward then backward this whole way and still haven't made any progress from where I was at the beginning. I certainly don't want to make it sound like I don't appreciate the time and effort you put in to this for me. But I need to walk away for a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:18 pm 

natezaps wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
natezaps wrote:

natezaps wrote:

I messed something up somewhere. I tried reflowing my joints and now I'm getting lower voltages on the attack knob lug 2 and 3 and Q5 and Q6 collectors. all around 4 V. I'm beyond frustrated with this right now. I feel like I've repeatedly taken a step forward then backward this whole way and still haven't made any progress from where I was at the beginning. I certainly don't want to make it sound like I don't appreciate the time and effort you put in to this for me. But I need to walk away for a little bit.
Always a good idea. Nobody takes offense to a breather. I can’t tell you how many pedal builds I’ve totally trashed from not walking away. Good on you for recognizing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:38 pm 

Okay I'm back. I have completely freed the guts from the enclosure for ease of access. I have reflowed for the millionth time. I have scrubbed the crap out of it (front and back) with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry thoroughly. here's what I'm getting:

op amp pin 6 loud distorted

D1 5.4 V
Attack Lug 2 5.3 V
Attack Lug 3 5.3 V
Q5 collector 5.3 V
Q6 collector 5.3 V

Q5 loud distorted
Q6 loud distorted

Q3 dry unity no swell

Q3 emitter 5.6 V
base 5.8 V
collector 9.5 V

Q2 emitter 5.4 V
base 5.4 V
collector 4.8 V

all tests were with sensitivity and attack at 100%

As far as usability, if I turn the sensitivity knob all the way to 0, I get no signal. As I start to turn the knob and it gets to roughly 9 o'clock-ish, I will start to get some signal coming through if I hit a string hard enough. There is no swell - it's either on or off. I'm muting the string each time before I pluck it again. if I hit a string lightly, it does not make a sound. If I hit it hard, it will make a sound, play the note for a second, then die out. The more I turn up the sensitivity, the less gating I'm getting and the longer the string will make sound and also not having to hit the string as hard to make sound. basically, it's acting like a gate when sensitivity is low. and no swell effect is happening.

The attack knob doesn't seem to do anything no matter where it's set. The trimpot also seems to have no effect where it's set.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Q2 is a JFET. It doesn't have an emitter, base, and collector. It has a drain, source, and gate. You should notice a "D", "S", and "G" printed on the circuit board inside the space for Q2.

Please take voltages again for Q2 with these new labels.

Also take a voltage reading of the gate of Q2 while you are strum the guitar. Do you notice any change in voltage immediately after you strum?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm 

byoc wrote:
Q2 is a JFET. It doesn't have an emitter, base, and collector. It has a drain, source, and gate. You should notice a "D", "S", and "G" printed on the circuit board inside the space for Q2.

Please take voltages again for Q2 with these new labels.

Also take a voltage reading of the gate of Q2 while you are strum the guitar. Do you notice any change in voltage immediately after you strum?
my bad

Q2
D 5.4 V
S 5.4 V
G 4.8 V

when I strum, the gate voltage drops to just under 3 V

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like the envelope (IC1, Q4/5/6) is working, so that's good. You should be able to adjust the voltage range on the gate when you strum by adjusting the trimpot. You've described a gate voltage range of 4.8 ~ 3V already. What is the range when you turn the trimpot full turn clockwise? What is the range when you turn it full turn CCW?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm 

byoc wrote:
It sounds like the envelope (IC1, Q4/5/6) is working, so that's good. You should be able to adjust the voltage range on the gate when you strum by adjusting the trimpot. You've described a gate voltage range of 4.8 ~ 3V already. What is the range when you turn the trimpot full turn clockwise? What is the range when you turn it full turn CCW?
CW 3.6 V
CCW 2 V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:28 am 
Site Admin

natezaps wrote:
byoc wrote:
CW 3.6 V
CCW 2 V

I need the range.

? ~ 3.6V
? ~ 2V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:48 am 

byoc wrote:
natezaps wrote:
byoc wrote:
CW 3.6 V
CCW 2 V

I need the range.

? ~ 3.6V
? ~ 2V
when the trim pot is fully CW, Q2 gate is 4.8V then drops to 3.6V when I play. when the trim pot is fully CCW, Q2 gate is 4.8V then drops to 2V when I play.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Remove Q2. Does the pedal now pass signal that is relatively identical to bypass?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:28 am 

byoc wrote:
Remove Q2. Does the pedal now pass signal that is relatively identical to bypass?
yes it does

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I would try replacing the JFET. And socket it while you're at if you have some SIP sockets. Do you have a spare 2N5457? If not, contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and we'll send you one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:18 pm 

byoc wrote:
I would try replacing the JFET. And socket it while you're at if you have some SIP sockets. Do you have a spare 2N5457? If not, contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and we'll send you one.

I got the package you sent. I just finished installing the socket and JFET. and...it works! everything seems to be working as it should. all pots are acting right. I'm getting the swell. I'm super happy. now, I'm going to put it all back in the box and wrap it up. thank every body for your help and patience with me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm 

I love it when a 3-page troubleshooting thread ends in success! Congrats on sticking with it and getting to a happy place.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm 

Glad to hear that the pedal is finally working as it should! ENJOY!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for being patient and sticking with it.