Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lazy Spocket Noise
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:16 am 

Finished my LS, fun project, sounds good but has a noisy notch I can hear and a slight volume drop if the attack is turned over 3 oclock. The trim pot doesn't eliminate it, I also have a slim range on the trim from 90%-100% where the pedal works.
The only non stock part is R17 (390R) was missing from my kit so i subbed a pair of parallel 820R's in its place, measures 410ohms.

yellow is input blue is output with attack over 3 oclock

Post subject: Re: Lazy Spocket Noise
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:37 pm 

Please post a set of good quality photos. They need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of your jack and switch wiring.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:07 pm 

Thumb Links, best i could do with my phone

Edit: I just noticed dust on some of the pics, came off the lamp i was using to take pics, it's been cleaned off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's hard to say, but unless there is significant noise or a significant volume drop, your pedal is probably working fine. The attack and sensitivity knobs are interactive. The volume will drop slightly as you turn up the attack. You need to reduce the sensitivity to compensate.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:51 pm 

byoc wrote:
It's hard to say, but unless there is significant noise or a significant volume drop, your pedal is probably working fine. The attack and sensitivity knobs are interactive. The volume will drop slightly as you turn up the attack. You need to reduce the sensitivity to compensate.

It also works much differently with different guitars/pickups. Nature of the circuit.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:38 pm 

There is an audible volume drop and a small distortion plugged in after 3 on the Attack. On my scope (I know it reacts differently with a constant input) turning down the Sense brings the volume back and reduces the notch causing the noise but doesn't eliminate it. I wonder if there's just a little too much gain going into VR2 coming from U1/Q4/5/6 or if something in there is slightly off biased?
Anyway I don't have the parts on hand to play with that area of the circuit. I get unity gain at 3 oclock on the attack and it sounds good, so for now I put an 82k across the 2 pins of VR2 making it a 19k pot and reducing the gain, I know that's a bandaid solution but it works, I'm happy, pedal sound good!

I know schematics and theory are pretty but the actual circuit doesn't always behave as planned sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

un41 wrote:
There is an audible volume drop and a small distortion plugged in after 3 on the Attack. On my scope (I know it reacts differently with a constant input) turning down the Sense brings the volume back and reduces the notch causing the noise but doesn't eliminate it. I wonder if there's just a little too much gain going into VR2 coming from U1/Q4/5/6 or if something in there is slightly off biased?
Anyway I don't have the parts on hand to play with that area of the circuit. I get unity gain at 3 oclock on the attack and it sounds good, so for now I put an 82k across the 2 pins of VR2 making it a 19k pot and reducing the gain, I know that's a bandaid solution but it works, I'm happy, pedal sound good!

I know schematics and theory are pretty but the actual circuit doesn't always behave as planned sometimes.

The SG-1 is an odd duck for sure. It's got its quirks. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement...at least from an engineering perspective.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com