Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:59 am 

Hi there all amazing helpers on the BYOC Board! My 4th post only (which is a good thing as I've built 4 of the pedals! :D )

I've built the Phase Royal and at the moment when I turn the rate/speed knob fully anti-clockwise to get a slow speed, it is still quite fast and doesn't go anywhere near slow at all! In fact it is quite quick! Also the output of the pedal is noticeably louder than the clean/bypassed signal!

I have only deviated from the instructions to do the pulsing LED mod as described by Morgan here:

Morgan wrote:
If you want the existing status LED to blink in time with the rate, all you have to do is remove R38 and wire in a 4.7K resistor from the south end of the R38 spot (the end closest to Q5) to lug 3 of the rate pot. Or you could just lift the north end of R38 (closest to the AC adapter) and add a wire from the lifted end of the resistor to lug 3 of the speed pot. Easy peezy!

The LED works fine, bypass works fine, the only problems are the speed is WAAAY fast and the pedal is LOUD!

I will post photos if people want, but I was just wondering if this screams of something obvious to helpers who might be able to diagnose an issue just from my description. I've checked and the backs of the pots deffo aren't touching the board, so nothing is shorting that way.

My only thoughts are because my mod involved wiring from the rate pot to the LED, and that's what one of the issues is, that this might be the problem...? Thoughts?

Do you guys have any idea why the speed would be so effected? Any what it might be to make it have such a loud output?

Thanks for all help/ideas. Happy to post photos if it might help you diagnose...

Hector
UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 am 

It sounds like you've misplaced a component, as the LFO on this circuit gets almost unuseably slow. Please post clear pictures. Also, try lifting the wire from R38 to the rate pot; I didn't get any interference by doing this, but who knows. See if the rate goes slower when you disconnect R38.

Volume boost issues are typically fixed by replacing R27 with a 120k resistor. This is a bit of a finiky circuit. Most work fine with 150k in that spot, but some seem to need a 120K to tame things a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm 

Aha...in the process of taking photos I've seen that I've got the Speed & Mix pots the wrong way round...C500k and B10k the wrong way round... :oops:

I'm imagining this could well fix quite a few speed and sound issues by swapping them back the correct way...will report back once I've sorted this...am dreading attempting trying to get in there to de-solder... :cry:

Cheers for yr help Morgan, will report back inabit!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:44 pm 

And all is sorted :D

Was a nightmare desoldering the pots, but once I'd swapped them round...heaven!

Am super chuffed with this and it's sounding great. Another VERY happy BYOC customer 8)