Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 am 

Royal Phase build that I put together in early 2011, and it sounded incredible up until recently. I hadnt played it in a month and now when I engage the phase there is a noticable treble boost and unnatural clipping to the signal. Its not overpowering, so at first I thought it was my amp or guitar, or something else in the signal change, but its definitely this pedal unfortunately.
Looking for assistance in diagnosing this issue, and finding out if perhaps a component went bad or other issue.
I have read through some of the threads that seem to describe similar issue, but not sure if there is something specific I should be checking. Plus those seem to be new builds, not a pedal that worked like a charm for 9 months.
Here is further info if it helps. (I have not posted any pics of solder, layout as the pedal was fine when I built it)

Tried various power supplies and even battery power, and different guitars. same issue in all cases.
Dry signal only with mix knob full CW sounds fine.
The phase signal works, and all the various knobs seem to control what they are supposed to control.
Light bubble picking not too bad, but full on funk 16th note guitar chords are just harsh sounding.
Harsh sound doesn't seem to get lighter or heavier with different phase settings.

My apologies if this info is already in another thread. Again, I put this pedal together earlier this year with no issues, and frankly it sounded absolutely incredible in all settings, either barely mixed in or heavier phase. I was in love. I have used it a decent amount here at home, no gigging, kicking or abuse. Now the tone is just un-usable.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointing towards previous threads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 am 

Hi Madams - welcome to the forum! :D

What you're describing is usually related to an iffy solder joint that has gone bad/non conductive over time. When you mount the pcb into the enclosure, there is typically a little torsional stress when you bolt everything down, and sometimes that can cause a solder joint that was holding okay to fail over time. The best thing to do is to disassemble the pedal and reheat all solder joints (take all the chips out of the sockets before doing this). We have try to narrow the issue down to one area, but hitting everything at once is typically much faster. It's what I would do if it were my build.

Also, make sure and play with the trim pot. Those things can drift over time too. I recently did some mods to a vibrato pedal, let it sit for a while, then started gigging with it. I noticed when I hit it with humbuckers, it would clip really badly. I rearranged my whole pedal board to put that pedal up front so it wouldn't see any boosted signal, but was still getting a lot of clipping. I finally took it off the board to record voltages for a troubleshooting thread; realized I never re-set the trim pot after doing the mods! :roll: Works like a charm now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:45 am 

Morgan,
Thank you for the quick reply and advice. After checking all the solder joints, touching up a number that looked iffy to me, and retesting the pedal, we are back in 70's funk phase business. Seems that was the problem.
I adjusted the trim pot also afterwards to find that sweet spot.
Thanks again and hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Looking forward building more pedals from BYOC effects.

:D