Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 pm 

So this is like my 15th or so BYOC build... so far. As you can tell from all my recent posts this happens to be the most recent. Thanks for all the assistance with this one guys. Greatly appreciated. Everything is working as it should, I am just trying to get a bit more depth to the sweep and more clean headroom (as I use high output pickups).

What I have done so far (based on reading all the previous posts):

* A matched sextuplet of 2N5952 (I hope. Ordered as such by haven't actually measured them)
* C11 of 4.7uF and C12 of 10uF (comes with the included kit parts now)
* Added a multi-turn 250k trimmer for VR5. (Adds finer resolution for centering the sweep)
* Changed R31 to 1.5M from 2.2M (This "appeared" to deepen the phase sweep. Subtle at best)
* Used a 1n751A Zener for D2. This brought Vref up to 5.08 from 4.1 when using the supplied 1N4733
* Removed C4. Did this because I wanted to try to completely eliminate the REGEN circuit. With the above mods, it was easier to remove this now than after putting it back together again. It will also be easier also to remove the 10k REGEN pot from the board than either R16, C7, or C8. It is really tight in there. (Didn't notice any difference without C4 in the circuit).

Removing the REGEN circuit is an attempt to see if I can get rid of some of the clipping I get with the high output pickups. I can alleviate this by turning the guitar volume back about 25%, but would like to see if I can increase the headroom of the phaser itself. I also get clipping in the clean path, but placing a 68k resistor between Q7's base and emitter greatly reduces that. I still however get the clip in the phase shift path (using the mix control to isolate the paths for comparison). So, thinking it might be the REGEN circuit. The clean path and the phased path are at the same output level, so no real difference there . Might also try TL072 ICs. I gotta admit though, the REGEN circuit is really nice to have in there. Adds a very different tonal colour.

I think I'll take it to the music store and A/B it against a MXR and see where I am at. One loses perspective after a bit of what it should actually sound like.