Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 pm 

This guy is giving me no sound when engaged. it does pass sound when bypassed. if i turn the amp up very loud I think i can hear a slight sound when engaged

1. Picture of the top side of your PCB.

2. Picture of the underside of your PCB.

3. Picture that clearly shows your footswitch/jack wiring and any wires going to the PCB

4. Picture that clearly shows your wiring going from the PCB to the off board components

5. Is bypass working? Yes
6. Does the LED come on? I think, its pretty dim
7. If you answer yes to 5 and 6, what does the pedal do when it is "on"? Please be as specific as possible. no sound
8. Do all of the controls work properly? Just 1 or 2 not working? no controls work
9. Does the problem change if you switch from battery to a power supply or visa versa. n/a

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm 

My guess is your foot switch. With that amount of solder on the top there is a high probability that some of it oozed underneath and caused a short. It's a tough one to solve if that's true: you need to remove as much solder as you can being careful not to cook the posts of the switch. If you work methodically and slowly, you can get the pcb off of the switch, clean it up and try again with MUCH less solder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 am 

ok that was my concern. the switch one soldered is pretty difficult to remove and the plastic melts easy.

It might be easier to remove completely and start with a new switch. if so is there any chance of damaging the board with using enough heat to remove it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

Before we do that, let's prove that it is indeed the switch. Somewhere around here is a procedure using a multimeter to test the switch. I'll find it and post. I think Duvoodooman knows how to do it. Stay tuned...

*Edit*

Here's the post, lot's of good info there:

http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=53595&p=466819&hilit=testing+a+footswitch+testing+footswitch+continuity#p466819

Let's start with this and see where we get.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm 

IN addition to testing the switch, have you tried the pedal while it is out of the enclosure? It looks like those untrimmed LED leads could short to the enclosure, causing the LED to not work properly.

Did you try to dial in the trim pot when the pedal is on?