Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 pm 

Hello,

I finished building my Phase Royal last night and everything seemed to be going well. However, when the pedal is engaged, I get a large volume drop compared to bypass. The speed control also seems to have very limited to range. The speed never gets as high as I've heard in the video demo. Even when it is fully clockwise, it's pretty slow. Depth, Resonance, and Mix controls all seem to work as they should. It seems like maybe signal is being tapped off to ground somewhere or a component was misplaced. I will re-check all component locations this evening. There's a 4k7 resistor located near the dc power input jack that isn't marked in the build document but is on the PCB. I went ahead and installed that resistor. Could that be an issue? I also didn't hook up the battery wires since I don't plan on using a battery. I did all the usual like check all the solder joints, make sure the pots aren't contacting the board, etc... I just wanted to see if anyone might know the issue off the top of their head but if not, I'll take some detailed pictures.

thanks,
Ry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:02 pm 

Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

Please fill in the gaps according to this thread (especially photos): http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34025

The #1 issue that causes builds not to work correctly is a bad solder joint. Here are some resources to help with that:
http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 pm 

rjb5191 wrote:
There's a 4k7 resistor located near the dc power input jack that isn't marked in the build document but is on the PCB. I went ahead and installed that resistor. Could that be an issue?

Is it R38?

If so, then no, it's not an issue. That is the LED current limiting resistor that lets the LED light properly at 9 volts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 pm 

Morgan wrote:
rjb5191 wrote:
There's a 4k7 resistor located near the dc power input jack that isn't marked in the build document but is on the PCB. I went ahead and installed that resistor. Could that be an issue?

Is it R38?

If so, then no, it's not an issue. That is the LED current limiting resistor that lets the LED light properly at 9 volts.

Thanks! Yes, I was referring to R38. I'll fill in the gaps and take some pictures this evening. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 pm 

Hello,

I believe I solved the problem. I mis-sorted a 4K7 and 470K and had them swapped in the R1 and R36 positions. The phaser works now but of course has the classic bass suck and distortion issue. One thing that was interesting was that with the resistors swapped the tone was really awesome. It had this very vocal quality and when picking, it had this cool give and take spongey feel. Of course the volume was about half what it was in bypass. I wonder if these resistor values could be tweaked a bit to get the pedal sounding better. Thanks so much for your help!