Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Analog Chorus distortion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 pm 

Hi there, I completed an analog chorus build and noticed that the pedal doesn't have a good clean chorus effect. I also noticed that the trim pot is kind of scratchy/static-y. I can slowly dial through the entire range and 'find a sweet spot' to get the chorus effect, but I also hear a lot of hum when I find the effect and the pedal is just on when I'm not strumming.

When I do strum, there's a light 'distortion' effect as well. Could there be something wrong with the trim pot? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:09 am 

There are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms. Please post well-focused and lighted photos of your build, including both sides of the pcb. We will have a look and see if we can help you out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 pm 

I reflowed all the soldering before posting - here are some pics. Please let me know if I should add more. Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments:
MVIMG_20190411_140007.jpg
MVIMG_20190411_140007.jpg [ 444.86 KiB | Viewed 3914 times ]
MVIMG_20190411_135955.jpg
MVIMG_20190411_135955.jpg [ 463.78 KiB | Viewed 3914 times ]
IMG_20190411_135752.jpg
IMG_20190411_135752.jpg [ 759.53 KiB | Viewed 3914 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 pm 

If you pull the mn3207 out of its socket (the chorus will go away) is the hum still there?

Do you have a DMM and are you able to take voltage readings?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 am 

Your soldering needs a lot of improvement. The input and output jacks are clearly cold solders. I can’t see the stomp switch very well but it appears to have cold solders as well. In the first photo just to the right of the pot on the left I can still see most of the solder pad. A quality solder joint will cover the entire pad. Two solder joints above that you have a solder that looks like a thorn. This is another cold solder joint. A quality joint will never look like the top of a DQ soft-serve icecream cone. The little pigtails of component lead sticking thru most of your solder joints all need to go. These are all short circuit risks. The lead should be cut off right at the top of the solder joint. There should be nothing poking thru the top of the solder joint.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am 

Stephen wrote:
Your soldering needs a lot of improvement. The input and output jacks are clearly cold solders. I can’t see the stomp switch very well but it appears to have cold solders as well. In the first photo just to the right of the pot on the left I can still see most of the solder pad. A quality solder joint will cover the entire pad. Two solder joints above that you have a solder that looks like a thorn. This is another cold solder joint. A quality joint will never look like the top of a DQ soft-serve icecream cone. The little pigtails of component lead sticking thru most of your solder joints all need to go. These are all short circuit risks. The lead should be cut off right at the top of the solder joint. There should be nothing poking thru the top of the solder joint.

The soldering on the PCB looks very good, though, except for those "pigtails" that need to be clipped. It's the wire connections to the jacks and footswitch that need work. Here's a tip for the I/O jacks: the solder tabs on these jacks have some sort of thin coating on them that impedes the wetting action of the molten solder and causes it to "ball up" and may result in the dreaded cold joint. I suggest scuffing them up with a bit of sandpaper before soldering, which exposes fresh metal surface and allows the solder to wet the surface properly. Makes a BIG difference.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 pm 

Morgan wrote:
If you pull the mn3207 out of its socket (the chorus will go away) is the hum still there?

Do you have a DMM and are you able to take voltage readings?

I took the socket out and noticed the hum clear up quite a bit. I can measure voltage, what should I be looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:29 am 

The 4558 should have about 9 volts DC on pin 8, 0 volts (ground) on pin 4, and about 1/2 the voltage of pin 8 on the rest of the pins. You should be able to dial in 1/2 voltage on the others pins using the trim pot. When installed, the 3207 should have around 4.5 volts on pins 7 and 8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:30 am 

Do you still have the ‘light distortion’ when the 3207 is removed?