Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:07 pm 

byoc wrote:
Please me more descriptive about Q3. Does it sound like a normal tremolo? Is the waveform smooth or is it choppy like Q2? Are you getting a good volume level out of it? Try pulling one of the leg from C7 from the PCB. This will disconnect the signal from Q2. You said the output sounds like Q2. I'm curious is the output changes is you take the signal from Q2 out of the mix.

Q3 sounds like a normal tremolo - clean, loud, and smooth.

I don't know what C7 is, and I don't really know how to read a schematic. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 am 
Site Admin

C7 is the 10uF electrolytic capacitor in the lower right hand corner of the PCB. There are two 10uF caps. C7 is the one closest to the bottom of the PCB.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:20 pm 

Hey, guys. Sorry for disappearing in the middle of diag. I certainly haven't forgotten about the pedal. I moved from San Antonio to Portland, and I'm still unpacking and getting settled. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to continue working on it. Thanks for your help and patience with me!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

MojaveJohnson wrote:
Hey, guys. Sorry for disappearing in the middle of diag. I certainly haven't forgotten about the pedal. I moved from San Antonio to Portland, and I'm still unpacking and getting settled. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to continue working on it. Thanks for your help and patience with me!

No worries. We'll be here when you're ready. Best of luck with the move.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:24 pm 

Hey, guys! I'm back! Sorry again for the radio silence. It's been a big adjustment moving half way across the country, and I ended up having to get a new place a few months in (crazy housemate situation), but I'm settled now (sort of).

I disconnected C7, as requested, and... same shit. There's dead spots (no output at all) in some of the Depth range. On the Speed control there's some effect in some parts of the range, and no effect in others, but the signal is still a choppy square wave at the output.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:15 am 
Site Admin

We redesigned the Brownface tremolo. The previous design, while it sounds great when it works, seemed to have too many inexplicable ghosts in the machine. You can contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and we'll send you replacement guts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm 

Hey, guys! I really appreciate all the help! I received the updated kit and finally had a chance to assemble it. The new version sounds MUCH better, but...

The DEPTH control seems to work the way it's supposed to, but the speed seems to be fixed at a medium clip (the SPEED control pot does nothing).

Also, the output drops considerably when the effect is on, even if the DEPTH control is set to "0" (full left). Of course, with the DEPTH control set to "0", the output is higher than when it's on "10", but it's still a big drop in output. I wonder if this could be a byproduct of the SPEED control not working?

(Sorry, I don't have a recording of the issue. I don't have a way to record it right now.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:38 pm 

Re: the speed control problem, I would start by checking the function of the speed pot. Measure the resistance between the inner and middle lugs across the full sweep of the pot. It should vary between ~0 ohms and ~100 Kohms.

For the level issue, it sounds like the Level trimpot needs to be adjusted as described on page 10 of the instructions.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 am 
Site Admin

You've got problems. You should start a new thread and post pics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Re: the speed control problem, I would start by checking the function of the speed pot. Measure the resistance between the inner and middle lugs across the full sweep of the pot. It should vary between ~0 ohms and ~100 Kohms.

For the level issue, it sounds like the Level trimpot needs to be adjusted as described on page 10 of the instructions.

I reheated the solder and made sure I had a decent bead, then measured the resistance on the speed pot, and it read between ~0 ohms and ~100K ohms, as it should, but the speed is still fixed.

The level issue was the trimpot. I just forgot to adjust it before. [SMH]

Attachments:
Brownface Tremolo speed 1.jpg
Brownface Tremolo speed 1.jpg [ 709.75 KiB | Viewed 2358 times ]