Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm 

I am nearing the completion of my Phase Royal build and was wondering if I had to have any modules installed before adjusting the trim pots?

Thanks,

-=SteveO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 pm 

Hey StevO! You a busy beaver!
I love my Phase Royale! It's a permanent fixture on my board 8) Hands down best phaser ever!

If memory serves me correctly, i do believe the modules need to be in place before adjusting the trims. I dont think it passes sound otherwise.

~Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 pm 

Twilt wrote:
Hey StevO! You a busy beaver!
I love my Phase Royale! It's a permanent fixture on my board 8) Hands down best phaser ever!

If memory serves me correctly, i do believe the modules need to be in place before adjusting the trims. I dont think it passes sound otherwise.

~Troy

Thanks Troy! I have 4 modules, just none of them built yet. I guess I keep on soldering! :mrgreen:

-=Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:24 pm 

Yep, you need a module installed. Those are what create the signal phasing for the rest of the circuit.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm 

SteveO wrote:
Thanks Troy! I have 4 modules, just none of them built yet. I guess I keep on soldering! :mrgreen:

My favorite by far is the Optocoupler Module. Combined with the Regen control, you can get some terrific trippy wah-like sounds. If you're into that kind of thing. :wink:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:54 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
My favorite by far is the Optocoupler Module. Combined with the Regen control, you can get some terrific trippy wah-like sounds. If you're into that kind of thing. :wink:

That's my favorite one, too, the same phasing circuit used in the Ibanez Flying Pan/BYOC Soaring Skillet.

BTW, I'm moving this thread over to the Non-BBD Modulation sub-forum where it really belongs.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
SteveO wrote:

I am working on the Octocoupler module as we speak. Love those 'trippy wah like sounds"! I'll have it finished in 10 minutes or so, but because of the time, I'll to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I guess I need to invest in some good head phones, then I wouldn't have that kind of problem. :mrgreen:

-=Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Yep, you need a module installed. Those are what create the signal phasing for the rest of the circuit.

Thanks Bob!
So once installed, and presuming there were no issues with the build, which of the 5(!) trim pots would I work on first??? I've read that they are all very sensitive and require patience (I read somewhere that was a virtue) to get just right.

-=Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

The trimpots on the main PCB shouldn't need to be adjusted to "work". If there are trimpots on your module, you need to adjust those first. If your module has a "bias" trimmer, adjust that first till you get the fullest sounding phase (make sure mix is set to 50% and depth is 100%). The optocoupler module has a "voice" trimmer. It's pretty subtle, but adjust it till has the vocal/vowel sound that you like.

The upper and lower limit trimmers are pretty interactive. You can set one where you like it and then it will get shifted when you adjust the other. These control the pedal's speed knob. I can only liken it to putting new strings on a floyd rose - you can tune the top E and then go through and tune all the other strings. By the time you get to the bottom E, the top E will be out of tune. You just have to keep repeating it till you reach a certain equilibrium. Hopefully, that makes sense.

There is only one upper limit trimmer for your expression pedal. This is because most expression pedals will have their own trimmer that controls the lower limit. You'll need to perform the same process for the expression pedal as you do for the speed knob.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm 

byoc wrote:
The trimpots on the main PCB shouldn't need to be adjusted to "work". If there are trimpots on your module, you need to adjust those first. If your module has a "bias" trimmer, adjust that first till you get the fullest sounding phase (make sure mix is set to 50% and depth is 100%). The optocoupler module has a "voice" trimmer. It's pretty subtle, but adjust it till has the vocal/vowel sound that you like.

The upper and lower limit trimmers are pretty interactive. You can set one where you like it and then it will get shifted when you adjust the other. These control the pedal's speed knob. I can only liken it to putting new strings on a floyd rose - you can tune the top E and then go through and tune all the other strings. By the time you get to the bottom E, the top E will be out of tune. You just have to keep repeating it till you reach a certain equilibrium. Hopefully, that makes sense.

There is only one upper limit trimmer for your expression pedal. This is because most expression pedals will have their own trimmer that controls the lower limit. You'll need to perform the same process for the expression pedal as you do for the speed knob.

Thanks Keith! I have the octocoupler installed and have experienced exactly what your were talking about! More about "trial and error" until you get the effect you are after. I did find a combo that I am very satisfied with! I have 3 other modules but I bet it's going to be hard to top the 'octo'. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, the optocoupler seems to be most peoples' favorite. In theory, it really shouldn't be any different from the JFET module. The 100k resistors in parallel with the optocouplers instead of the 22k resistors in parallel with the JFETs would give it the potential for a wider sweep. And the .01uF decoupling caps between each phase stage instead of the .047uF would reduce the bass response a small amount....which actually can be a good thing when you consider it's being blended with dry signal which will restore all the lows. I guess it provided more of a juxtaposition between wet and dry signals. But aside from that, the two circuits are essentially identical. No signal is passing through the JFETs or optocouplers, so they aren't imparting any special tone. The two devices are performing the exact same function. And yet, the optocoupler version has a slightly richer sound.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com