Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:26 pm 

I've got a Tremolo that I've had for a bunch of years. I've run it with batteries, and have finally broken down and bought a multi gate power supply. The temolo is on, tremoloing away using the battery. When I plug in the 9 volt supply everything dies. Battery in or battery out. Any ideas of what to check? I've been over the soldering connections and used a VOM to check continuitywith no luck. BAtteries are expensive these days!. I'd like to get away from them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 pm 

If it’s a BYOC pedal, sounds like the dc and battery terminals were wired backwards BUT we would need pictures to tell you for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:29 pm 

Yep, 9 times out of 10 this is just a matter of switching the (+) connections to the DC jack. Those jacks can be really confusing to orient correctly.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:30 pm 

jimilee wrote:
...sounds like the dc and battery terminals were wired backwards

^This. Details here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52139

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I have tried switching the two + leads with no improvement, so I guess I'll unsolder all three leads and pull the jack out to look at it. This is one of the, I guess, older ones with the nut on the inside so I have to take everything loose to get a gander at the tabs. I'll probably get to it tomorrow afternoon. Any chance that I have a defective jack? Any way to test this thing with a continuity check using the VOM? I hate taking these things apart. I always seem to knock something else loose when I do and have to fix another problem!

Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:23 am 

Docstu wrote:
Any chance that I have a defective jack?

Sure, it's always possible. Electro-mechanical devices like the DC jack have significantly higher failure rates than purely electrical ones. Then again, it's still fairly unusual.

Docstu wrote:
Any way to test this thing with a continuity check using the VOM?

Yep. Test for continuity between the sleeve (and not the center pin!) of the input to the DC jack and the right-most + connection at the top of the PCB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:55 pm 

Okee dokee----- I have now taken everything loose from the jack and tested the jack.It appears to be okay. When I plug in one of the daisy chain plugs the outside most lead goes dead. I have soldered the two leads twice now with one on one tab and the other on the other tab with no change in the box. Then switched with no change. The battery works and the money saving 9.6v doesn't. Tremolo is dead. I'm about ready to just resign myself to having a really nice battery powered tremolo, unless someone can suggest another path to try. The negative is definitely soldered to the little angle iron lug. I have unsoldered and re-soldered the other two leads in both configurations and the power station just doesn't do anything. It does power my chorus and Fuzz Face nicely, so i don't think that that is the problem. Ahhh well. Time to redo the guts of an Es 335.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm 

Success at last.
I took a step back and thought a bit. T unsoldered all three leads to the jack, took it out and looked at it under magnification. Had a little bitty piece of copper strand that was shorting things out. Cleaned everything up and we're cookin' with gas!
Now I have to get an ancient Dallas Fuzz Face working. Found it in a box that got put in the attic maybe 30 years ago.
Thanks for the help and encouragement folks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:52 pm 

Nice work!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:57 pm 

Congrats on getting that sorted out. Ain't it amazing how tiny the path of a short can be and completely render the circuit kaput? Good on you for finding it!

Docstu wrote:
....Now I have to get an ancient Dallas Fuzz Face working. Found it in a box that got put in the attic maybe 30 years ago.

:shock: Whoa, that's gonna be worth some big bucks when you get it running! 8)