Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brown Face Tremolo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:57 pm 

Good day, all. I have recently assembled the Brown Face Tremolo pedal and I have no signal. No light on just a thump, thump, thump noise when plugged in. I am missing 2of the 330k and 1 22k spot on the board. I do have a resistor that is 3 taped together and was unable to find anything that resembled these in the parts list. I have included a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachment:
Brown Face pdb top .JPG
Brown Face pdb top .JPG [ 495.94 KiB | Viewed 1804 times ]

Attachment:
Brown face pdb.JPG
Brown face pdb.JPG [ 525.73 KiB | Viewed 1804 times ]

Post subject: Re: Brown Face Tremolo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:05 pm 

You need to complete the circuit in order for a signal to work, does bypass work? The Led isn't completely separate from the circuit because it follows the rate. So once your circuit is complete you can see if that is still an issue.

It also looks like your 2N5088 Transistor just above the level trim pot is backwards.

The three that are taped together in your kit, are they the 330k? It looks like the one you put in the 330k spot isn’t a 330 but it’s hard to tell with the lighting.

Post subject: Re: Brown Face Tremolo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:39 am 

NC222 wrote:
I do have a resistor that is 3 taped together and was unable to find anything that resembled these in the parts list.

A close-up photo of these three taped resistors would be helpful. I'm guessing that they are the "missing" 330K's.

Carlinb17 wrote:
It looks like the one you put in the 330k spot isn’t a 330 but it’s hard to tell with the lighting.

Agreed. I'm guessing that's the 22K, because the first band is clearly red (2). Can't make out all the rest, though.

Carlinb17 wrote:
It also looks like your 2N5088 Transistor just above the level trim pot is backwards.

Yep. This will need to be swapped around or replaced with a new 5088. If you opt to desolder the existing transistor and reinstall it correctly, be very careful when removing it from the PCB. Components with 3 (or more) leads are much trickier to desolder than 2-lead components. You have to thoroughly remove the solder from each joint to get them out without damaging the eyelets of the PCB. A solder sucker and good quality desoldering braid are critical tools for this process. Links below.

There may be more resistor placement errors, but the photo is too dark for me to make out the color band codes clearly. Could you post larger and better lit photos of the component side of the PCB, with the wires pushed out of the way so that the resistors can all be clearly seen?

Solder sucker

Desoldering Braid

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2