Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:36 pm 

Hello!

I finished the Analog Chorus build and have what is probably a common issue. I used the DC jack as well as a battery and both times the same thing occurs. The LED comes on and blinks rapidly but there is no sound. I've attached pictures of the PCB and the wiring to the jacks. I know my soldering needs quite a bit of work. I may have underestimated the difficulty or overestimated my abilities.

I have a multimeter if there is something I need to test as well.

Thank you all!

Attachments:
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg [ 953.76 KiB | Viewed 2255 times ]
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg [ 867.01 KiB | Viewed 2255 times ]
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg [ 905.17 KiB | Viewed 2255 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Your soldering leaves quite a bit to be desired, but your biggest problem is that you have your V3207 and 4558 chips mixed up. Swap those (and make sure you orient them correctly) and then let's see if we need to to fix anything else.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 am 

I see two problems. The first of which is the poor quality of your soldering. Second, you need to connect the wire from the IN eyelet on the PCB to lug 5 of the stomp switch. Without that connection there is no way for the signal to enter the circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 am 

Thank you both for your reply. I had actually just noticed the issue with the 5 lug and the wire. I resoldered that and now i have sound when the pedal is engaged, though it is a slightly lower volume. I switched the two chips and still have no chorus effect. When i turn the rate pot, the LED changes frequency of blinking so I'm assuming that would correlate with the effect when it's working?

Attachments:
IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg [ 989.66 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Your soldering is pretty bad. I would assume that is where your problem lies. There are many spots that look like you might have a short. There are many spots that look like they have cold solder. And I can even see one spot that looks like didn't solder at all.

And you're wiring is pretty bad too. You are going to need to fix that long exposed wire connected to lugs 4/9 at some point.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:28 am 

Should I just restart altogether and remove all the components? I’m afraid of causing damage by doing that. I’m debating also whether to start over and take time on a practice board learning to solder better before I get in too deep. Any suggestions there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:34 pm 

Don't remove any components; this can be fixed by reflowing your solder joints across the build. This post has lots of details about that.

That being said, I do think you'd benefit from practicing a bit before you dive back into this build. You can get practice kits online, or just get some through hole perf board and some resistors or diodes. Stephen's Tips For A Successful Build has lots of good advice. This image may also be helpful:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:47 pm 

That’s perfect! Thank you! I bought a little cheap lite bright looking thing that appears to be “baby’s first circuit board” should be a beneficial process.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 pm 

Stephens videos are fantastic, I studied them thoroughly before I bought my first kit. I also perused tech help threads to see if there were consistent issues. Soldering stuck out more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk