Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:13 pm 

I built the harmonic tremolo and it squeals in rhythm with the speed control on a power supply.
Works fine with battery, but I’ve tried multiple power supplies and they all produce the same horrible sound. I have reflowed every single joint, and checked all the components.

I included a picture of the component side, but I’ve struggled to reattach the DC Jack a few times so I’d rather not pull the whole thing apart to take a picture of the solder side.

Like I said, on a battery it works perfectly, but I’ve used a 1spot, a cheap wall wart, and a power bank and they all produce the sound. Other posts I’ve seen address the power supply as the issue which is definitely the case here, but even with a good supply I get the noise.

I’m new here so if I didn’t follow proper protocol please forgive me, I tried to find something specific to my issue but the closest one fixed it with a different power supply and I haven’t had that luck.

Attachments:
File comment: Component side
494CC4DE-73C6-4F3D-9C85-745EED411C9D.jpeg
494CC4DE-73C6-4F3D-9C85-745EED411C9D.jpeg [ 465.26 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:43 pm 

Not certain that it would help, but I would try shortening your wire runs, since they can pick up noise under some circumstances. Take a look at page 6 of the instructions and shoot for that. The battery results show that the noise must be related to the power supply, so shorter wires may help.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:09 pm 

Thanks for the tip! The finished product picture on page 6 certainly has much shorter wires and while I did mine the way I did for ease of assembly, I can see how that might produce unwanted results. I’ll definitely try shortening the lengths anyway, regardless if it fixes the problem. Looks much nicer/cleaner in the instructions than mine does currently lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:37 am 

The only other thing I can think of is trying it in a different outlet or different building. It's possible that the problem is what's coming from the wall. Maybe it's worth measuring the DC voltage at the jack if you have a multimeter.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:43 am 

I have a Furman power conditioner that I plug the wall warts/bank into and I assumed that would handle any power issues coming from the wall, but I’ll try it elsewhere also just to be safe. I also just purchased a voodoo labs power brick (waiting for shipping now)because it’s properly isolated, after some research my current brick isn’t actually isolated output so that may be an issue as well.

I do have a multimeter but I’m still very much a noob so I’m not sure how to measure the voltage at the jack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:55 am 

PanamaScoot wrote:
I have a Furman power conditioner that I plug the wall warts/bank into and I assumed that would handle any power issues coming from the wall, but I’ll try it elsewhere also just to be safe. I also just purchased a voodoo labs power brick (waiting for shipping now)because it’s properly isolated, after some research my current brick isn’t actually isolated output so that may be an issue as well.

I do have a multimeter but I’m still very much a noob so I’m not sure how to measure the voltage at the jack

I would think the power conditioner would take care of any problems from the wall power. And since all your different adapters are giving you the same result with clean power, I doubt that a measurement is going to tell us much. That being said, it's easy to test, so we might as well do it:

To measure the voltage, set your multimeter to the DC voltage mode, indicated by a solid line above a dotted one. Use the 20VDC range setting if it's not an auto-ranging meter. Connect your power adapter and then place the black pin on the sleeve of the DC jack (the larger one) and the red pin on… uh… one of the other ones. :mrgreen: I can't think of how to describe which one to you, so just try them both.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with the power bank. But I am familiar with the 1Spot. It is notorious for causing noise in true bypass pedals. And cheap power supplies that aren't intended specifically for guitar fx rarely ever work without making noise. If it's working fine with a battery, I'd have to say, the problem is most likely with your power supplies.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com