Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:34 am 

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this post, or if this idea is addressed elsewhere.

I was thinking of adding a loop pedal to my board so I can engage my reverb and delay simultaneously, since I only use them for solos. But then I'd also love a little volume boost like my dusty Confidence Boost (CB), so I figured it would be cool to integrate the two into one pedal. Ashley Saunders' website has an easy diagram that I'm sharing here, and I'm just unsure exactly where to fit it in and how to wire everything for power. Ideally, I think the boost should be right after the loop return so it doesn't affect any other pedals I'd have in there. I'm also referencing DuhVoodooMan's diagram to make CB into a pedal, which for some reason I can't upload here.

I THINK it's: wiring CB "In Tip" to "Return Tip" and then "Out Tip" to switch lug 4? But these footswitches don't seem wired the same way.

And then both "In & Out Sleeves" to ground, but that gets a bit confusing as to where are the most convenient points for that (I get the ground concept, but it's always daunting to me in pedals and diagrams).

Am I on the right track? Any other considerations before I start tinkering?

And yes, I could just make another enclosure for CB and have that be a separate pedal, but real estate is getting limited and I want to try something a bit original (to me, at least).

Again, to be clear: I want the ultimate function to be a loop pedal that, when turned on, has a boost I can control with a volume knob.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Single-True-Bypass-Loop-Pedal.png
Single-True-Bypass-Loop-Pedal.png [ 17.17 KiB | Viewed 4059 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm only on my first cup of coffee, but I don't really follow what you're trying to do. This diagram really isn't anything different that the standard foot switch wiring for any pedal. If you're trying to make the CB a stand alone unit, then just get rid of the "send" and "return" jacks. Then connect the blue wire to the IN of the CB and the orange wire to the OUT of the CB. Make at least one ground connection on the PCB and make sure all of the jack sleeves and the two lugs on the foot switch are connected to ground as well.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:49 pm 

Sorry if I was unclear.

I don't want to get rid of the send and return jacks because this would be an FX Loop pedal (I know the terminology gets dumb here: I don't want a LOOPER pedal like the Boss RC-1, I want a pedal with a switchable FX loop to route into other pedals when I want them on, and then bypass them both at once instead of clicking two pedals).

That's what the schematic I posted is from. But in ADDITION, I was hoping to add the CB inside the unit so that when the FX loop is engaged I'm also getting a little volume boost. Hope that makes more sense!

I feel you on the coffee. My fancy machine broke this morning and I had to go back to the old drip machine :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ah. Okay. I think I follow now.

Well...I guess it depends on where you want it in the chain. If you want it first, cut the blue wire. Connect the wire from the switch it the PCB in and the wire to the jack to the PCB out. If you want it last, cut and connect the wire from the jack to IN and the wire to the footswitch to out. Connect PCB ground to any ground point. Connect the PCB +V to the + of the DC jack.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:18 pm 

OK, so before I dive in I think I've got everything sorted out, but where's the best place to connect the sleeve (ground) of my output/return jacks? Can I just wire them to the sleeves of the other 2 jacks?

Hopefully everything else looks good! (I realize the orientation of the jacks may be unorthodox, but it fits with my setup)

Attachments:
FXLoopPedalDiagramAlmostDone.jpg
FXLoopPedalDiagramAlmostDone.jpg [ 933.13 KiB | Viewed 4006 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:36 pm 

You can do that, yes. If your jacks are the metal kind, they’re already grounded via the enclosure. I usually only ground the input jack, and let the enclosure do the rest. It’s just tidier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 pm 

:D Thanks for all your help, it works perfectly!!!

It's a boost... it's a loop... I present...

the Boop.

Attachments:
BoopGutsLoRes.JPG
BoopGutsLoRes.JPG [ 888.91 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]
BoopLoRes.JPG
BoopLoRes.JPG [ 791.38 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:04 pm 

SWEET! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 pm 

Hey everyone!

So I'm sitting here happily playing, but I've noticed that when I switch the pedal on, it has a loud pop (made worse by hitting the delay pedal and being repeated!).

Doing a bit of research, I'm fairly certain it's a charge potential building up and then being released when I turn the pedal on (if I turn the pedal on and off consecutively, there's no longer any pop). Can I eliminate or at least mitigate this with pulldown resistors? Where would they go in this circuit and what values would I use? Thanks!

-Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:48 pm 

GregTurrigenous wrote:
Hey everyone!

So I'm sitting here happily playing, but I've noticed that when I switch the pedal on, it has a loud pop (made worse by hitting the delay pedal and being repeated!).

Doing a bit of research, I'm fairly certain it's a charge potential building up and then being released when I turn the pedal on (if I turn the pedal on and off consecutively, there's no longer any pop). Can I eliminate or at least mitigate this with pulldown resistors? Where would they go in this circuit and what values would I use? Thanks!

-Greg
Yessir. Put a 1M resistor across the input and ground lugs on the 1/4” input jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk