Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 pm 

I’m rehousing my 27 volt boost into a larger box. While I’m there, is it possible to add a battery snap? I’m guessing no since I don’t see a spot for it on the PCB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm 

Yep, just put the red wire on the extra (+) lug of the DC jack and the black wire onto ground anywhere—the easiest place is probably the sleeve of one of the I/O jacks.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:23 am 

Just be aware that, with that 27V differential driven by a charge pump, it's likely to go through 9V batteries at a pretty rapid clip!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:09 pm 

Thanks for the solve. I want to add it as insurance. But now I’m curious how fast it’ll burn through it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:28 pm 

Ok wired it up and I’m getting nasty distorted buzz when using the battery. Works like normal on the power supply. Any ideas on what I wired up incorrectly? The red wire from the battery snap is attached to the open spot on the DC input. The black wire is attached to the sleeve of the output jack.

Attachments:
IMG_2537.jpeg
IMG_2537.jpeg [ 441.85 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]
IMG_2538.jpeg
IMG_2538.jpeg [ 532.61 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:21 pm 

That sounds like a grounding issue. Normally I would say try running a jumper between the sleeves of the input and output jacks, because with metal frame jacks, they're not grounded when they aren't touching the metal of the enclosure. But in this case, your jacks are both grounded at the PCB. And in any case, if it only happens when you're running on battery, that wouldn't make sense.

You don't have anything plugged into the DC jack when you're testing on battery, right? The jack is set up so that it disconnects (and thereby preserves) the battery when it's plugged in to wall power. But again, I don't think that would cause buzzing.

Sorry, thinking out loud here (but maybe providing some useful info along the way).

I must be missing something obvious. Do you have a multimeter that you could use to check continuity across all ground points?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:41 pm 

I’m reading elsewhere that the black wire should be connected to the ring of an I/O, not sleeve. Wondering if that was my goof. Will try tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 pm 

850Special wrote:
I’m reading elsewhere that the black wire should be connected to the ring of an I/O, not sleeve. Wondering if that was my goof. Will try tomorrow.

It's a good idea to make that change, but doubtful that it will help the noise problem. The reason for connecting to the ring of the jack (generally the input) is so that the battery won't have a path to ground unless there's a cable inserted in the jack, which causes the ring to contact the sleeve of the cable tip. That makes it easy to preserve battery life by pulling the cable out of the jack and disrupting the required ground path for the battery, when the pedal is not in use.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:26 am 

Rule #1: always test with a fresh battery. That was the issue. But I will rewire the ground to the input to avoid battery drain.